Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that I fully understand the "it just depends" because there can be many factors depending on the particular situation. But I'm trying to get a feel of some cost before I jump in head first. Whatever car I get, I'm going to assume I will need to HAVE the engine rebuilt. As I kid, I rebuilt my 400 once and it didn't blowup with some hard running, but at 59, I'm not really excited about doing it again, getting the learning curve, etc. So what is a good budget number, assuming nothing major like cracked heads, block, etc, to have someone rebuild a 68 era 400 that can run on current premium gas and be a fairly dependable driver?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What part of Texas?

There are numerous very experienced Pontiac engine builders in Texas from Denton to Houston, and one very experienced national Pontiac builder north of the Red River in Bristow Ok.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What part of Texas?

There are numerous very experienced Pontiac engine builders in Texas from Denton to Houston, and one very experienced national Pontiac builder north of the Red River in Bristow Ok.
Not to hijack the thread, but can you post or PM me a few in DFW? I'm in the same budgeting process as Mickey.

·
Registered
345 Posts
"...So what is a good budget number, assuming nothing major like cracked heads, block, etc, to have someone rebuild a 68 era 400 that can run on current premium gas and be a fairly dependable driver?"

I'd say $4000 is a good budget number for a max. I can't see paying more than that, unless you wanna go with light pistons, H-beam rods, and maybe a roller cam.

The OK shop mentioned can build you a 400 crate motor, with 6x heads, all core parts included, for less than $4000. And for a couple of hundred or so more, he'll probably add some forged rods, if you like.

There may be some, but I haven't seen any better prices, than these. At least this will give you some numbers for reference, when you inquire at other shops. I've read where some guys have said that price would not leave enuff profit for them to build a similar engine.

400 Long Block

Len Williams Auto Machine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts