Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know when you tinted your back window if the tint ran all the way behind the third brake light. On my GTP they cut around it, and was never to crazy about it. Does that piece come off so they can run the tint behind it or what???

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I bet if you removed the carpeted panel in the trunk that covers up the gas tank -- there will be a way of popping the CHMSL out so the tint can go all the down to the window frame. Maybe I'll take a look at that this weekend. I can't clean the window in front of that friggin' thing -- and it's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine was cut around the third light. Oh Well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
BigDog said:
I just wanted to know when you tinted your back window if the tint ran all the way behind the third brake light. On my GTP they cut around it, and was never to crazy about it. Does that piece come off so they can run the tint behind it or what???

It does come out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since I was planning on removing the spoiler that has the third brake light, I elected to have it "cut out" for the one on the rear window. I agree it does not look as good as if they had tinted the whole window, but I did not want to give up the third brake light (or diminish it by placing film over it.) The tinting company looked at me funny, because they wanted to tint the whole window, it seems that that is the norm where I live.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Kats1stGTO said:
it is very easy to remove the rear light, i have the service manual and it's just about 5 steps to remove.
Are you going to keep us in suspense?

Step 1?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Open the rear compartment lid.

From inside the rear compartment, disengage the 2 retaining tabs (1) from the rear window panel assembly.

From inside the vehicle, grasp the edge of the high mount stop lamp assembly (3) and pull the assembly up and away from the rear windscreen until the locating tabs (2) are free of the slots.

Disconnect the high mounted stop lamp electrical connector (4).
Remove the high mount stop lamp assembly from the vehicle.

Unclip the harness connector (1) from the lamp assembly (3).
Starting at one end of the light emitting diode (LED) assembly (2), carefully disengage the retaining tabs with a small flat-bladed tool.

Carefully spread the lamp assembly (1) by hand and work the LED assembly (2) sideways and rearward until it is free of the lamp assembly (1).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.