Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2 mile stretch of road today, that had no side roads, houses or vehicles on it. Temp was 90 degrees with 95% humidity.

With 750 miles on the odometer, I felt it was time to let it loose............and I did!

The vehicle seemed to be a bit unsettled, slightly, but tracked straight, and felt planted. Braking was a bit "spongy", with no fade.

From start, the car felt sluggish, pulling "slowly", kind of like a 1970 Cadillac.....must be the 3750 pounds!

As I made my way up to 4th (which I almost missed, btw) the car started to pull hard and steady. I expected more of a "rush" and was left a bit dissapointed.

My old 2004 Z06 is what I was comparing it to.

How can I lose 500 pounds?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your engine is still “breaking in” IMO. As you rack up the miles you will notice a nice gain in power. Mine really showed an improvement when I hit around 3-4k.

As for losing weight you can remove/replace the front skid, remove the gas tank cage, and change to a lighter set of wheels...

·
Registered
498 Posts
A carbon fiber hood can save as much as 35lbs which is good cause it's front end weight. You couldn't pay me to remove the gas tank cage! These cars need more weight in the rear as is, not less. Besides you'd be sacrificing saftey. BBS makes some great lightweight wheels called RGR's. They weigh 20lbs each, don't forget lighter tires too!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Odd.

I have an '04, and have had her up to 145 mph...I found the car to extremely solid at those speeds, not springy or unsettled at all. May experience is with BMWs primarily, and I found the high-speed feel of the GTO far and away superior to my old E46 323i.

I wonder if the sluggishness you feel is a symptom of the heat-soak which seems to be endemic in '05s.

Of course, if you are comparing the GTO to an '04 Z06, keep in mind that the Holden is a two-ton Panzer compared to fighter-plane Corvette...not sure what you expected.

If you think the '05 brakes suck, try an '04. :eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, I agree. I personally wouldn’t remove the tank cage either; I just know some others have done it (knocks off 23lbs). Also, doesn’t fuel weigh in around 6.25lbs a gallon? If you’re looking for an evening of fun, don’t do it with a full tank. Also, just thought about the spare tire and tools… taking those out should save around 20+lbs. Then again, we all know how hard it is to get traction… so having a bit of extra weight in the rear end may not be so bad after all. I still think when his goat "loosens up" with the added miles he will see and feel a nice change in performance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips................

I don't think I need a spare.

Or jack....

I have been looking for two weeks for lightweight wheels, however most manufacturers do not even sell GTO wheels, much less LIGHT WEIGHT ones!

I am also wondering what intake to use along with a "catback" exhaust...........WHICH does NOT require any tuning................those two mods alone are worth 10 HP.........

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
vnamvet said:
I am also wondering what intake to use along with a "catback" exhaust...........WHICH does NOT require any tuning................those two mods alone are worth 10 HP.........
Be careful...in my experience, any intake / exhaust mod to the LSx requires tuning...but it depends on what your driving habits are. It's all very complex, but I've decided not to screw with the engine anymore until the warranty is dead and gone... :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
In the first week i had it I removed the spoiler,gas cage,spare tire,+jack and tools, ,Total is around 100lbs (please no lectures about the cage,,it useless, its 4 bars with huge spaces between them ,any object in your trunk in an accident will go right thru your tank, cage or no cage and it add ZERO strcutral rigidity considering the Monaros DIDNT HAVE IT before the americans messed with it.. ,,yes remember the Monaro,what this car really is behind the fake pontiac bumper.. .) Aftermarket rims were about 5lbs lighter each so another 20 there, front skid plate replaced by BMR ,thats another 10lbs there.Removed resonators ,another 15lbs there. I run at the track with 1/2 tank. Total close to 200lbs saved running on half tank..
Have no problems with traction stock even after removing weight.
After convertor is another story.. Ill have to put everything back for the SSHS5 race meet though as the minumum weight is 3800lbs :D

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
vnamvet said:
Thanks for all the tips................

I don't think I need a spare.

Or jack....

I have been looking for two weeks for lightweight wheels, however most manufacturers do not even sell GTO wheels, much less LIGHT WEIGHT ones!

K&N makes a really good cai, I sell them for $239.00, and just name the cat-back that you want and I'll get you prices on it, there are a few choices but I should be the cheapest around. :cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.