5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this 64 GTO?

How can I tell if it a true GTO?

did GTO's come with column auto shifts?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
PHS is the only safe way to do it these days....money well spent. You can look for signs of authenticity: only 3 holes in the sheetmetal for the 1/4 panel emblems, no "gills" in front of the rear wheels, a '64-only GTO emblem above the glove box with no "6.5 litre" call-out, bigger diameter front sway bar, 389 engine, and an "8" in the vin instead of a "6", denoting that it came new with a V8. If it was converted from a 6 cylinder car, it will have the fuel lines and battery on the passenger side. Also look at the front fenders behind the headlamps for signs of fill (look from under the hood at the back sides of the front fenders)....this will reveal filled in "326" emblems that do not belong on a real GTO. I've never owned a '64 and always wanted one.....good luck!!!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
It's a post coupe, the "light strong one". Looks pretty striaight....wonder how the floors and trunk are? Also, wonder if the hood scoop inserts are with the car...they are $$$ to replace. Good luck. I bet it's a real one....I have that feeling again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts