Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quadrajet numbers - '69 GTO 400

Allright, so based on another topic I posted (slight fuel overflow issue of some type) I started poking around my carb... and not finding anything near what i was expecting. I am hoping for a simple answer but I believe the ultimate decision is just going to be purchasing a replacement Carb.

Quadrajet #17080213 (these markings are scored out with 4 deep lines so this build looks like it was on purpose :suspicious:)
from what I have researched this mean:
1980, 4bbl, Q-Jet, Chevy, Manual Trans.
and
2032 CPX stamped under the quad#.

A few things are off here.. 1. its got a Pontiac style fuel inlet (i thought this was a part of the casting and not adaptable)... 2. my car is an automatic (th700r4 currently). 3. from what I have seen this carb would normally have a electronic choke, and thats not the case here.

But, after looking more... The carb looks like a stock 69 to my untrained eye

Pictures: carb - Album on Imgur (ignore the exposed wires... thats a separate routing / protection issue I will take care of)

So, real world experiance... is this worth resolving whatever the fuel overflow issue is... or just buying a new quadrajet like this one from SMI or another source.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
It appears to be a 1980 and up carb. Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Quadrajet Part Numbers - Carburetor Numbers - Carb Rebuilding, Quadrajet Rebuild Kits, Bushing Kits - Parts

The lines struck through it may have been done by some rebuilding company/supplier, as well as the new stamping, but that's a guess. It is possible the center section was a "donor" to the rest of the carb. You would have to start comparing to other later model Q-jets or get part numbers off of some of the parts.

Being 1980's and up, it has to be calibrated for emissions in some form or another. Personal opinion -ditch the carb and get one from the 1960's or early 1970's. Just make sure it is NOT a Chevy carb. You can use other Q-jets from other makes as long as it has the same fuel inlet, and the throttle cable will hook up like a Pontiac carb. I got a nice clean rebuilder from a Buick 350 last summer at a swap meet for $25.00. Anything that isn't Chevy, usually goes higher in price, so I could not pass it up.

If you are not comfortable rebuilding the Q-jet, plus your cost to purchase a used piece, plus the rebuild kit/brass float, and the possibility of problems once all is said and done, you might want to simply buy a rebuilt Q-jet for your application and bolt it on and go.:biggrin2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts