Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one running freeze 12 refrigerant? I put some in a Vette I used to own with good results. Thinking now of running it in my '66 GTO. I have heard a few concerns about it, and also heard a few say it was great. I don't want to convert to 134a if I don't have too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most like R-12 which was replaced with R-134a which is now used modern cars. R-12 was taken off the market due to the depleteion of the ozone layer. It is still available on the market however, you must be licensed to buy it and R-12 is extremely expensive 1 pound of the stuff runs about $30-$50 a few years back. Also it's very hard to find as well. You are better off switching your system over to a 134a with a retro kit.

Lucas:shutme

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sometimes you might get lucky, I've been a mechanic for 5-6 years and found 8 containers of R-12 (16 oz cans) for $1 each at a garage sale 10 years ago. Of course I bought every one of them and still have them today

Lucas:shutme

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, in AZ you can bet I've heard of Freeze-12. I've talked to about 5 or 6 people who have done the switchout, and have heard nothing but praises. It's a very viable alternative to R-12. R-134 requires higher pressure and subsequently causes problems on retro-kitted cars if the kit isn't specialized for the car. R-12 Condensers aren't sufficent for R-134, so any kit that has you use a stock condenser, will only give you headaches later on.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'm a licensed HVAC/MVAC tech. I've used Freeze 12 with no problems. Before I bought my GTO, I owned classic Datsuns. I ran Freeze 12 in both my 78 280Z and my 79 810 2dr. 8 years in the Z and 6 years in the 810. It doesn't require any components to be changed over. What scares people about Freeze 12 is that one of the components, HFC 152a(Difluoroethane), is highly flammable. Rest assured that, in solution, that would never be a problem. And if things ever got hot enough, for whatever reason, to seperate the 152a from the rest of the refrigerant solution, you'd have other more serious problems to be concerned with(like that thing behind you that carries 18.5 gallons......).

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I believe I'll put some in the '66 this weekend, thanks for the responses guys.
Are you using a charging manifold and a bulk cylinder or cans and a can tap?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I was going to post what the estimated low side/high side readings should be but without a charging manifold, that wouldn't be of much help. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I converted over to Freeze 12 when I had my 93 Vette. Worked really good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts