Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was hoping to get information on a reasonable freight company I could use to ship my engine to be machine shop. Going from Rockport TX to Oklahoma. Any info on cost and shipping preparation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Hello, I was hoping to get information on a reasonable freight company I could use to ship my engine to be machine shop. Going from Rockport TX to Oklahoma. Any info on cost and shipping preparation would be greatly appreciated.
If you have a Fastenal anywhere near your area, it is my understanding that they will ship items like that - and cheaper than most trucking companies. Probably will have to secure it on a pallet for shipment, and am not sure if you may have to bring it to them for shipping.

Option B - rent a pick up truck, or other, from Enterprise Truck Rental in Corpus Christie and deliver it yourself. The rental might be very reasonable and just make it a mini-vacation and enjoy the drive. Might be much cheaper than a shipper.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cost is going to depend on a lot of things. If you can deliver it to the freight company, it will cost less. For home pickup, how far you live from the depot will add cost. If you need lift gate service, it will cost more. Believe it or not, adding lift gate service can add a couple hundred right off the top but without it, you need to figure out how to get it into the truck (not a big deal if you have a forklift handy).

I had a short block shipped from Oklahoma to Massachusetts last December. For delivery to a residential home with liftgate service, cost was somewhere between $600 and $700, I don't remember the exact number. The shop arraigned shipping with YRC Freight. I don't know if they were cheap or expensive, but they were decent to deal with.

FYI Liftgate involved backing my pickup truck up to the truck and lowering the gate onto my tailgate to roll the engine in. I had to uncrate it and use a cherry picker to get it back out of my truck. I can take a picture of what the engine was attached to later. Let me know if you need this, I just don't have time right now to do it.

Oklahoma... Having Len Williams do an engine for you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts