Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the front coil springs on my 1967 GTO with air conditioning. It seems like all of the springs I have located on the net, so far, are for the 1967 GTO w/o a/c. So what is the difference between a GTO w/o a/c and one with a/c when it comes to replacing the front coil springs.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
front coils springs

There has got to be a better price than 170.00 for two coil springs. Anyway what is the difference between springs with GTO with a/c and w/o a/c? That is my question.
thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I am looking to replace the front coil springs on my 1967 GTO with air conditioning. It seems like all of the springs I have located on the net, so far, are for the 1967 GTO w/o a/c. So what is the difference between a GTO w/o a/c and one with a/c when it comes to replacing the front coil springs.
Thanks in advance.

same answer as last month,

http://www.gtoforum.com/f50/front-coil-springs-67-gto-94233/

my answer is from the experience of decades of installing and in many cases sourcing correct col springs. Was so glad I stumbled onto CSS. Also have ordered correct coil springs through a friend's early F body shop who for years ordered Eaton springs (mainly leaf springs) on a whls acct. In the early 90's, installed 2 pair of Moog front springs, one on in my old bodymans GS Buick, I always though the GS sat too high.

When it comes to pricing, one can't buy correct spec coil springs for closeout pricing off RockAuto or Amazon. Flip through a few searches of completed "restored" late 60's early 70's GM musclecars on eBay. Ck out the 4x4 stances on the quickly thrown together "restorations" . Generic cheap springs 9 times out of 10, get cheap results.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
My 2 cents

I agree with the difference being the additional weight in the front end from the A/C components. I just replaced the front and rear springs with the correct spec springs (non-a/c) on my '68 and i will say that the front end now sits about 2 inches higher than the rear. My old car guy says that's the way it would have looked new in '68. Looks a bit odd to my eye, but if he's correct, i'm ok with it(?). If you're looking for level or a bit lower in the front with stock springs and shocks in the rear, you might consider a spring drop in the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts