Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first off, what size our are front speakers. I am looking to replace just the front ones this weekend. I want to do the whole car but i am restricted with money right now. I also was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which speakers i should go with. What do all you guys have in your car right now and how do they sound. Thanks alot

·
Registered
22 Posts
6 1/2" components in the front doors. I have ALPINE SPR-17S components up front. I picked 'em up new off of ebay for under $130. Sound is excellent!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yup, we got 6.5" woofers in the front doors and 1" tweeters in the dash so for best sound go with a 6.5" component system. I went with the Polk MOMO MMC6500, they retail for $349 but you can find them cheaper though. I only paid $170 though cause I worked for Circuit City and Polk offers a direct from vendor purchase program so I saved like 60%!! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the front speakers are 6 1/2", because i read in another thread that they were 6", will i have to make a modification to get the 6 1/2"s to fit?

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are not planing to change your factory HU and are just wanting to install better sounding speakers, then you need to replace them with 2-ohm speakers such as the Infinity Reference speakers or the JBL GTO speakers... They will dramatically improve the sound of your factory system...

·
Registered
69 Posts
did you just change the door speakers??? Leave the rears and dash speaks???
Thanks,
Bill
No, I replaced the door speakers, the dash tweeters and the rear speakers. I did not replace the factory subs... I just turned up the gain for those... In my opinion, you really don't have to replace the rear speakers... those are more or less just for fill...

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are not planing to change your factory HU and are just wanting to install better sounding speakers, then you need to replace them with 2-ohm speakers such as the Infinity Reference speakers or the JBL GTO speakers... They will dramatically improve the sound of your factory system...
does that mean the door speakers are 2 ohm, the dash tweeters are 2 ohm, AND the rear side panel speakers are 2 ohm? or are the tweeters and the front door speakers together drawing a 2 ohm load from the amp?

i want to keep the factory tweeter and replace just the front door speakers in my '06. are the door speakers themselves 2 ohm?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes each speaker (door) would be 2 Ohms. thats just the rating of resistance between 2 points. IMO the higher the Ohm, the better sound quality youre gunna get.

For those of you who replaced youre tweeters in your dash, how hard was that? does the cover just "pop" off? Im going to replace all of the speakers in the car and take out the Stock subs and build my own custom fiberglass box with 2 10s and possibly an amp rack.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Yes each speaker (door) would be 2 Ohms. thats just the rating of resistance between 2 points. IMO the higher the Ohm, the better sound quality youre gunna get.

For those of you who replaced youre tweeters in your dash, how hard was that? does the cover just "pop" off? Im going to replace all of the speakers in the car and take out the Stock subs and build my own custom fiberglass box with 2 10s and possibly an amp rack.
You have to remove the dash/defrost trim thats near the window and the transition vent for the door. Off the top of my head you have to pull down the fuse panel and glove box door. You should see some screws to remove that side trim. After you remove that trim you should see a screw near the top that is to remove the dash/defrost trim.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts