Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. Yesterday I met the mechanic who had worked on my car for the previous owner. He had a set of front sway bar brackets the PO had purchased but never had put onto the car.

One of the original brackets had broken and was welded back together. He gave me the brackets for free and now I'd like to get them on the car.

Here are my questions...

Can this be done properly without putting the car on a lift?
Will this procedure affect the alignment?

I believe the bushings are still good.

Thanks again for helping out a noobie. :D

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
If you are talking about the "U" shaped bracket that bolts the front sway bar to the chassis: Yes it can be installed with out a lift. i usually place a floor jack under the sway bar near the bracket and pump it up till it just moves the car up a little. Then swap out the part. Eric

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rukee.. One of the brackets on the car was damaged and repaired. I now have two new brackets.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are talking about the "U" shaped bracket that bolts the front sway bar to the chassis: Yes it can be installed with out a lift. i usually place a floor jack under the sway bar near the bracket and pump it up till it just moves the car up a little. Then swap out the part. Eric
So... nothing is gonna shift on me when I do this right? Sorry, I'm just a bit paranoid.... or precautious...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It shouldn't be hard. I would loosen up the end links on the control arms before trying to swap them out, no reason to fight the end links. Just jack the front of the car up and go for it. The sway bar is attached in 4 obvious spots, loosen it all up and swap the caps. If the center bushings and end links look deteriorated at all, this is a good time to swap to poly bushings, they are available at Autozone or Advanced for $30 for all of them.
If the old cap is in good shape and holding the bushing/bar I would just hold onto the new caps for a later redo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you are just replacing the brackets (not bushings), then I would just support the sway bar against the the frame (as Eric Animal mentions), though this is not critical. If you have a new bushing, it is sometimes a little difficult to get the bolts initially threaded. Once started, the new bushing compresses alot to form a tight hold on the sway bar. If you are using your old bushings, they are likely somewhat formed/compressed, and this will likely not be of any difficulty.

I would not loosen the end-links for this purpose, no need to IMO. Alignment won't be affected.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I would not loosen the end-links for this purpose, no need to IMO. Alignment won't be affected.
Alignment won't be affected by the sway bar ever.. Only reason I said it was because it can be a pita to realign the bolts for the brackets. If you start fighting the brackets, loosen the end links. I've been there, got the T-shirt.. Sway bars under load can be uncooperative.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks jetstang. These bushings are for a 1 1/4 inch diameter bar. It's just that there are several to choose from. So, I eye balled it and went with my best guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts