Votes: 96 95.0%
  • Drivers Who Use Any Octane

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
its recommended 91+ octane, and i always put 93 in mine. and for those who need to save the extra pennies if you mix mid and regular half and half you get 93 octane...just a note for those who need to save a little but still want performance

and if you have a supercharger, turbo etc, its "STRONGLY" recommended at least 91 octane

·
formerly NJGoat
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fuel system.

I use ONLY 91 + octane in my 05 GTO. I will NEVER use any type of additive or Octane booster except for maybe once a year when I use LUCAS injecter cleaner, I will also use fuel stabilizer when in winter storage. I don't like using additives on a regular basis because it screws up your cars Computer system by having it try to correct itself for the octane changes and the change in Chemicals in the fuel. SAVE the 87 & 89 OCTANE for your LAWN MOWER and SNOW BLOWER
After reading the cosumer auto guide which I previouly posted on another thread, I guess your idea of using a fuel system cleaner is a good idea. According to the report, there has been problems with the fuel gauge going bad and that simple fuel treatment cleaner could correct this problem before it occurs. You'll have to check it out, good reading material for those who have not seen it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use 91 octane. I wonder how the car adjusts for the octane levels. Does it have knock sensors? If so how much will it retard or advance depending on fuel quality? Just enough to stop the detonation or a set/pre-determined amount?

Just curious :confused

Russ

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use Super Unleaded (93 usually) in both the GTO and Corvette...usually Shell or BP but I have never had a problem with the "other" brands...I won't use Citgo even though it is manytimes the cheapest because the Hugo Ce'sar Chavez...hate America thing...I on occasion will put in an additive/cleaner from Lucas Oil...I have added in the Winter storage months Sta-Bil...

Bill
No CITBLOW here either, what a thug...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
REMEMBER. all octane ratings at the pump are + or - 2 to 3 percent. In most cases it is on the minus side . You can be paying for 91 octane and getting 89. I just started using a octane booster on my GTO at my last fill up a few days ago. I always fill up when at 1/4 tank. I started to add about 1/2 pint of Lucas Octane booster with a full tank. Several years ago gas stations in Connecticut were fined for selling gas that was lower then the advertised octane. Now they have a sign on every pump that states OCTANE RATINGS are Plus or Minus 2 or 3 percent

·
formerly NJGoat
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
REMEMBER. all octane ratings at the pump are + or - 2 to 3 percent. In most cases it is on the minus side . You can be paying for 91 octane and getting 89. I just started using a octane booster on my GTO at my last fill up a few days ago. I always fill up when at 1/4 tank. I started to add about 1/2 pint of Lucas Octane booster with a full tank. Several years ago gas stations in Connecticut were fined for selling gas that was lower then the advertised octane. Now they have a sign on every pump that states OCTANE RATINGS are Plus or Minus 2 or 3 percent
I have been using the Lucas octane booster as well. If you looked at my garage pics you can see it on the shelf next to the gallon jugs of mystery oil. I usually dont let my tank go past half tank. I add a bottle of lucas every other top off. When I started using lucas I filled my tank completely full and used bottle of treatment. when it gets around 1/2 tank Ill fill it up and add mystery oil. The next time it goes to half tank maybe just below i add a bottle of Lucas. so on and so on. I dont think this is too much additives.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have been using the Lucas octane booster as well. If you looked at my garage pics you can see it on the shelf next to the gallon jugs of mystery oil. I usually dont let my tank go past half tank. I add a bottle of lucas every other top off. When I started using lucas I filled my tank completely full and used bottle of treatment. when it gets around 1/2 tank Ill fill it up and add mystery oil. The next time it goes to half tank maybe just below i add a bottle of Lucas. so on and so on. I dont think this is too much additives.
LUCAS does make good products. I even use their oil stabilizer at every oil change.

:cool

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
93 for mine. But on occasion, when my wallet is realy low, i'll run mid grade 89.
The differance in price between a FULL tank of 89 octaned compared to a Tank of 91 Octane is about $2.00. I don't think the extra 2 bucks will break you, 89 Octane here is $3.12 PG average, 91 Octane is about $3.35 average.

10 Gallons of 89 is $31.20, 10 Gallons of 91 is $33.50.. spend the extra 2 bucks and get 91

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use Hess because there's come from USA oil...so I am told. Any octane higher than 91 as well.

Hess fuel in South Carolina contains 10% ethanol and proably in New York as well.

The jury is out on the long term affects of this in a car designed for performance. I think I'll pass.

JohnC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check out this link for a list of "top tier" fuel providers and an explanation of what it means to be top tier:

Top Tier Gasoline

There are some major players that don't make the cut including BP/Amoco, Exxon, Hess and Sunoco (except in Canada)

JohnC

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hess fuel in South Carolina contains 10% ethanol and proably in New York as well.

The jury is out on the long term affects of this in a car designed for performance. I think I'll pass.

JohnC
They also use 10% ethanol in Connecticut,

·
formerly NJGoat
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
With the ethanol in gas, it might not be a bad idea to start adding additives. Especially those non daily drivers. Every oil change I add zmax fuel and oil. Almost every fill up of gas I try to remember marvels mystery oil.

I even add it to lawn equipment. Gas is messing things up.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I never found a need to throw in additives. They don't seem to do anything. Fuel injector/carb cleaner only seems to work in a 33% or better mixture with gas. I do use a fuel stabilizer for winter storage, the gas still seems a little sour in spring, but it doesn't hurt the system any.

In my small engines, I just use Deep Creep, and spray it down the carb bore while the motor is running, now that works wonders.

·
formerly NJGoat
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I've always used marvels mystery oil. I use it in my boats and other toys. Knock on wood I haven't had any starting, fouling issues, and gas deteriorating problems like I see frequently. I even put it in my new John Deere. It's suppose to keep everything inside clean as well.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts