Pontiac GTO Forum banner

fuel bleed back.

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  CPL 
#1 ·
Hello I have a 65 Pontiac LeMans 326 v8 I started experiencing fuel bleed back from carburetor back towards gas tank, 2 barrel Carter carburetor I replace the pump its made no change I have an inline filter right before it goes into the carburetor so I can watch it fill up and then after I turn it off and even when I'm driving it will bleed back and I'll have to crank it several times for the gas to come back up to the inline fuel filter at the carburetor does anyone have any ideas?

#2 ·
CPL...does it have a fuel return line? The AC cars, like mine had a fuel rerun line that returned fuel at the filter back to the tank. It was there to keep the fuel cooler, as an AC condenser dumps a lot more heat and a compressor puts more load on the engine..

So that is first...just one fuel line or two? The return line if you have it is not a vapor line it returns fuel volume not used at the carb....

Maybe having to crank it a little is related there but that could also be many other things, throttle set wrong, plug gaps too wide, choke not set right, etc

#3 ·
Thanks looks like it was a clogged filter right inside the carb were the line screws in.the little round paper one... I do have ac however it's not in but yes I do have that return line it was disconnected and plugged before I got the car.my question is were exactly dose it connect?and what psi radiator cap should I be running?326 v8,rebuilt radiator rebiult.
Thanks for your time

#4 ·
It happened again once it heats up it beads back car dies I have to crank it a few times to get gas back up.what can you tell me about that return line how is it hooked into the system.mine is disconnected.any help will be great thanks

#5 ·
The stock radiator cap is 16 lbs as I recall, could be 15....

As far as the fuel return the inline filter has two outlets, one goes to carb and the other makes aU turn back to the second line and tank.

Mine is right near the thermostat housing but it was moved, it is up front near carb right before fuel goes to carb

#8 ·
Click on the NPD link on top of page they have em and big photos on their web....AC-GF-98

Fuel filter with inline return for AC pontiacs the two outlets are on the carb side but one u turns to the smaller line

Sorry can't get you a picture right now....there number is C-3890-265A

#9 ·
By all means use the return line! It will solve your issues. The filter mounts to a bracket on the T stat housing, and the 1/4 inch line runs from the filter under the alternator and is bolted to the timing cover. A rubber line connects to the 1/4 line in the frame rail. I have pics of mine, just not on this PC. Your fuel will run a whole lot cooler, eliminating vapor lock and all kinds of issues with today's crap gas. There is no downside running a vapor return fuel line system: you get cooler fuel and another, real filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.