Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people are interested in this subject so here are the results of a recent trip. I went fron South Bend Indiana to Kansas Mo. this last week. Going I went on US 24 which is mostly 2 lane. I averaged 22.3 at an average of 50.6 mph. This included many towns that I passed through at the legal speed limit plus some diversions to see and photograph interesting thing. Plus 30 or so miles across KC in city traffic. I returned via I70 and I55 with the cruse set at 78. I saw my overall average go to 23.9. In Illinois I left I55 and took some back roads to avoid all the construction around Chicago. My overall was 22.9 at an average speeed of 57.7 mph over a total of 1336 miles. I have an 04 M6.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just out of curiousity, were your averages based on the on-board computer or you own manual calculations? Reason is that I find a +1 to +1.5 mpg difference on my car. Manual calculations are almost always better in my case.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never calculated any of this manually because I have never checked my odometer against a known distance. Without doing that the calculations would be as questionable as the computers. I guess even with a +or - of 1.5 my figures give an example of what is possible. I really did not try to get the maximum I could by coasting or turning off the AC, I just drove safely for the conditions. I never speed in small towns ever. The few seconds or so you save by blowing through them can get real time consuming and expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.