Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure others have the same issue. The carburetor seems to drain off when it sits for several days or up to a week. It is parked on a slight incline with the nose sticking up in the air a bit. My question is will a one-way valve right before The fuel pump, would this prevent draining the fuel and keeping the pump primed. Appreciate all responses.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Maybe draining into the engine but more than likely its evaporating due to the Ethanol Fuel mix we have here in CA, especially in your area.
If my El Camino sets for 2 or 3 days, it needs a few more cranks to fill the float bowl.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I’m sure others have the same issue. The carburetor seems to drain off when it sits for several days or up to a week. It is parked on a slight incline with the nose sticking up in the air a bit. My question is will a one-way valve right before The fuel pump, would this prevent draining the fuel and keeping the pump primed. Appreciate all responses.
This has a "regular" mechanical fuel pump? If so, it really can't drain back through that pump. It would have to run through the diapragm and if it could, the pump couldn't really work. Are you stuck running e85? That can be up to 85% alchohol and as o52 points out will evaporate really quickly. Have you verified what the fuel level is in the bowls when running? Maybe they're a little low to begin with, then you let it sit and some evaporates, you get what you're seeing.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You need a phenolic spacer under the carb,..what you have is heat soak. When the car is shut off, angle of car does not matter, today’s gas has a much lower boiling point, and the fuel boils off. The phenolic spacer will help reduce that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts