Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am interested in knowing fuel economy differences between 04 and 05 GTOs.

If you guys please post your #'s, i would appreciate it very much.

Following is from Edmunds

Specifications

Type: Midsize Coupe
Where Built: Australia

Dimensions

Exterior
Length: 189.8 in. Width: 72.5 in.
Height: 54.9 in. Wheel Base: 109.8 in.
Curb Weight: 3725 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 37.3 in. Front Hip Room: 58 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 59.7 in. Rear Head Room: 37.3 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 51.7 in. Rear Hip Room: 50.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.2 in. Rear Leg Room: 37.1 in.
Luggage Capacity: 13 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 13 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 4

Performance Data

Performance
Base Number of Cylinders: 8 Base Engine Size: 5.7 liters
Base Engine Type: V8 Horsepower: 350 hp
Max Horsepower: 5200 rpm Torque: 365 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4000 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 1000 lbs.
Drive Type: RWD Turning Circle: 36.1 ft.

Fuel Data

Fuel
Fuel Tank Capacity: 18 gal.
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 17 mpg / 29 mpg Automatic: : 16 mpg / 21 mpg
Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Automatic: 288 mi. / 378 mi. Manual: 306 mi. / 522 mi.

Specifications

Type: Midsize Coupe
Where Built: Australia

Dimensions

Exterior
Length: 189.8 in. Width: 72.5 in.
Height: 54.9 in. Wheel Base: 109.8 in.
Curb Weight: 3725 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 37.3 in. Front Hip Room: 58 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 59.7 in. Rear Head Room: 37.3 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 51.7 in. Rear Hip Room: 50.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.2 in. Rear Leg Room: 37.1 in.
Luggage Capacity: 7 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 7 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 4

Performance Data

Performance
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5.8 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 128.96 ft.
Base Number of Cylinders: 8 Base Engine Size: 6 liters
Base Engine Type: V8 Horsepower: 400 hp
Max Horsepower: 5200 rpm Torque: 400 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4000 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 1000 lbs.
Drive Type: RWD Turning Circle: 36.1 ft.

Fuel Data

Fuel
Fuel Tank Capacity: 18 gal.
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 17 mpg / 25 mpg Automatic: : 16 mpg / 21 mpg
Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Automatic: 288 mi. / 378 mi. Manual: 306 mi. / 450 mi.

Thanks guys
Rinku

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I cannot comment for the 04's cause I have an 05'. I have my gallons consumed indicator displayed at all times. What I have found is I am generally averaging between 16.1 and 17 local driving, average speed about 23 - 28 mph, and when I am going on a bypass run, I reset it. I have gotten as high as 24 mpg on an average speed of 50 mph. I have compared it to my other vehicles... My wife's 04' Grand-Am with the 3.4 v 6 last year on a drive to the mountains, it got 33 mpg. I thought that was incorrect so on the way back I redid it. Again it was 33 mpg. Was not using the A/C. I was really impressed by that... My 96' RAM 4 x 4 best I go on that was 18.6 mpg highway. Locally I'm around 12-13 mpg. Whata a friggin gas hog. That has the 5.2 magnum. My 88' 4-Runner with the 22 R best I ever got on that was 24 mpg. Comparing the GTO to the others.... I am impressed with the mpg I am getting. When I first read the average mpg on the stickers I said yea right NO WAY is a 6.0 gonna get that. Well, it does. For a 6.0 400 hp car, I am amazed at the fuel economy. This LS2 is an awesome motor.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 04 4a and I just drove a trip that was 185 miles and got 23mpg at an average speed of 72mph. If I drop it down into the 6x mph range it gets around 25mpg, but seriously who can keep below 80 mph on the interstate. As for the city driving I do, i get 18.x in my city driving. By the way I saw a huge increase in fuel economy at around 1200 miles, did anyone else notice. I went from 15 to 17 mpg in one tank at around 1200 miles.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
toolman said:
I have a 04 4a and I just drove a trip that was 185 miles and got 23mpg at an average speed of 72mph. If I drop it down into the 6x mph range it gets around 25mpg, but seriously who can keep below 80 mph on the interstate. As for the city driving I do, i get 18.x in my city driving. By the way I saw a huge increase in fuel economy at around 1200 miles, did anyone else notice. I went from 15 to 17 mpg in one tank at around 1200 miles.
I'm not sure if it was at 1200 miles, but somewhere right around 1500-2000 the whole car changed. More power different sound to the exhaust and better mileage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
fergyflyer said:
I'm not sure if it was at 1200 miles, but somewhere right around 1500-2000 the whole car changed. More power different sound to the exhaust and better mileage.
That's sweet ... With 450 miles and trying to follow recommended break-in the trip average was 23.4 and now it's average 21.5 . Must be setting the parameters ... I also noticed that top off is not recommended so I stopped when the pump clicked and the gauge never made it to the Full mark...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys......

I am new to the market. I am just trying to learn more about the LS2 and GTO itself in the meantime.

Does anyone have a link or site what compares the GTO 04 or 05 USDM to the HOLDEN Monaro (Australia).

I am curious to know similarities and differences between the two.

Thanks for your input.

PS. Sorry for the newb questions. I was wondering what does SAP refers to? SPORTS APPEARANCE PACKAGE? some kind of aero package option from factory? Is it only on 05? or 04 adn 05?

Rinku

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
hssaini said:
Thanks guys......

I am new to the market. I am just trying to learn more about the LS2 and GTO itself in the meantime.

Does anyone have a link or site what compares the GTO 04 or 05 USDM to the HOLDEN Monaro (Australia).

I am curious to know similarities and differences between the two.

Thanks for your input.

PS. Sorry for the newb questions. I was wondering what does SAP refers to? SPORTS APPEARANCE PACKAGE? some kind of aero package option from factory? Is it only on 05? or 04 adn 05?

Rinku
You're correct SAP= Sport Appearance Package. The SAP for 05' has more options to it than did the SAP for 04'. It is not a factory installed option. It's a dealer installed option, however you can purchase the kit and install it yourself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GTO judge said:
You're correct SAP= Sport Appearance Package. The SAP for 05' has more options to it than did the SAP for 04'. It is not a factory installed option. It's a dealer installed option, however you can purchase the kit and install it yourself.

Kool......thanks for the explanation.

Anyone knows TOP SPEED on 04 GTO vs 05 GTO? Speedometer is upto 200mph but i wonder.......

Thanks
Rinku

·
Registered
46 Posts
04 economy

i noticed the mileage on my goat really is sporadic. for instance, yesterday on a nice leisurely trip to the north puget sound, driving around 65-70 average, i got 29. sometimes, doing that same speed it may only be 26. and sometimes doing 75-80 it will be 26, sometimes a bit less. still, good mileage for such a powerful car and rather large car. one other thing is any time i do any in town driving, the economy goes down FAST. after driving for four hours on the highway and getting let's say 27. spend half an hour driving around town and it'll fall down to 22. around seattle i do a lot of freeway commuting and still avg only 17 or 18, granted i get on it pretty hard a lot.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
sno-rydr said:
i noticed the mileage on my goat really is sporadic. for instance, yesterday on a nice leisurely trip to the north puget sound, driving around 65-70 average, i got 29. sometimes, doing that same speed it may only be 26. and sometimes doing 75-80 it will be 26, sometimes a bit less. still, good mileage for such a powerful car and rather large car. one other thing is any time i do any in town driving, the economy goes down FAST. after driving for four hours on the highway and getting let's say 27. spend half an hour driving around town and it'll fall down to 22. around seattle i do a lot of freeway commuting and still avg only 17 or 18, granted i get on it pretty hard a lot.
I think the computer averages the speed and the MPG then computes up to date readings. Mine does the same thing. Best thing to do is fill your tank,,,, note the miles driven when refilling the tank, then divide the gallons into the miles driven. I did that and it equaled out the same the computer read. I watched my MPG go from 24 to 16.1 in a matter of miles once I left the interstate. My average speed also dropped from 55 to 23 mph as well. I was pissed when I first got my goat and noticed that, but now I pay little attention to it. If I am going on an interstate run I will reset it. If I really want to know what I get around town I will use the old math, but like I said, when I did that, the calculator read the same thing the onboard computer read.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've kept track of the gas mileage on my 05 Goat since I got it. Seems the mileage does vary some given I consistently drive about 2/3 Freeway and 1/3 City miles on a tank between 70-75 (cruise control) Freeway and the speed limit on city streets. Although I do jump on it from time to time, I don’t think it’s enough to vary the mileage much. Anyway here’s some numbers: Miles Driven: 6,235, Average Miles Per Gallon: 18.79, Best MPG: 22.71, Worst MPG: 14.98, Average gas price (91 octane): $2.50

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats great news.........with gas prices nowadays, you always have to get real #'s from actual users instead of #'s on website. Thanks to all of you for your input. I greatly appreciate that.

For such a powerful car, the average mpg is not bad at all. I am sure, some people have heavy foot than others and climate is different in different parts of the country and so is the gasoline 91, 92, 93.

This gives me a good idea of what to expect. Thanks again

You guys rock!

Rinku

·
Registered
565 Posts
The 04 governor is set to 145 mph =/

The 05's governor is set at 160 mph on the A4, and supposedly 170 on the M6. With the 05 goats power though I wouldn't doubt it if it could be pushed up to 190 maybe even 200 mph.

·
Registered
565 Posts
That's all I've been hearing come from Pontiac, I know for sure the 04's are set to 145 (it may be 140) and that the 05 A4's are set 15mph higher than that (so depending on whether it is 140 or 145). Now people have been saying that the 05 M6 is set like 10mph higher than the A4 is, but this one I'm not completely sure about.

Keep in mind thouhg that it doesn't take too much work to adjust or kill the governor if you know what you're doing, so you can of course go past the limits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This pass weekend I drove about 170 miles each way from Fort Smith, AR to destination in Little Rock. Going I ran up to 90, usually in the 80's (and still got passed by about as many cars as I passed), The avg was around 21.5 or so by onboard computer. On way home, I set cruise at 79. Ran slower at times in traffic and little higher to pass but most of trip at 79. The avg was 23.7 according to onboard calculations just before pulling off into city traffic from interstate. There are some grades to pull on the trip but one thing I noticed on flat ground, it really gets impressive mileage numbers even at speed. I see it even down one straight stretch at 40 in 6th gear over 30 mpg. Seems you can get some pretty good mpg at speed, it's just economically getting to that speed. But then, I didn't buy an economy car, I bought a GTO, I'm happy with the mpg I get overall.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
toolman said:
that is so true. when iam on the hwy i got to go 75mph until i race some one :cool . btw i have yet to have my real first kill.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
sno-rydr said:
The first trip on my 05 a4 i got 350+ miles to a tank of gas. what about anyone else. i think that was very good b4 the break in period.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.