Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Fuel filter?

7K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  fergyflyer 
#1 ·
the goat has past its 30,000 mile check up and i need to know where is the fuel filter located. is it on the frame or in the tank. not talking about fuel pump. thx for you help:D

#2 ·
so at 30,000 i dont need a new filter?
the sheet says i need fuel/air inductuon service
throttle body service
coolant additive (wtf is that)
totate tires and adjust pressure
complete brake inspection (dont midas do that for free)
rear differential service
oil an dfilter change (non syn)
Install BG on the road kit (got me on that one guys)
top off all fluids
lub chassis components
visual car inspec
inspect undercarriage for damage or leaks
trans flush
multi point inspection and test drive all for as little as..........

600+ dollars

#4 · (Edited)
If you have the time you can do most of that stuff yourself. That the stuff I do in my garage every six months. Now if you have auto tranny than yes I would take it in to have it flushed if needed, changing fluid is no problem. Where did you get that sheet from because I looked up all the recommended stuff to check on the GTO and some of that is not listed. Do you have the owners manual I would go by that, thats what I recommend.
The dealer wanted to do some mileage required service on my car after seeing the price of $400+ I told them no thanks. That is the stuff that I can do and I know it's done, I keep records and recepts of everything done to that car.

Our GTO's have no servicable fuel filter. The fuel filtration device is a fixed part of the fuel pump. Many newer cars and trucks are going this route. Personally, I'd ather have one I can change every so often.
:agree Having the lack of a fuel filter I put fuel system cleaner in my tank every once in awhile.

#3 ·
Our GTO's have no servicable fuel filter. The fuel filtration device is a fixed part of the fuel pump. Many newer cars and trucks are going this route. Personally, I'd ather have one I can change every so often.

#13 ·
I have Royal Purple in my rearend it has limited slip additive(friction modifyer) in it allready no need to add it. The factory calls for 75W-140 some folks use 85W-140, also in the rear some use Torco in the diff. I have no problems with the RP in mine and I hear good things about Torco also. What is this TB work you speak of?

#7 ·
Not sure what the Royal Blue gear oil is for that but any parts house that deals with Royal Purple products should be able to direct you to the correct oil. Maybe call the dealer and ask what viscosity they use and find the same in Royal Purple? When my diff oil was changed out by the dealer they put in a modifier to help with any kind of noise coming from back there. It's supposed to help keep the rear quiet. You may want to install the same when you change out yours. Just my 2 cents.

#15 ·
done!!!!! the oil cost me $25 for 6qts $4 for the filter. the rear diff cost me $26 for the Royal Purple oil. got me some GUM OUT for the fuel system at $5.99. and all done by my self at my buddies shop with a lift. check all the other fuilds, undercarriage, brake lines/fuel lines( man i wish i had the money to get steel braided lines). knocked the dust off my cone filter (LPE cai) check tires, tighted some loose bolts. $61 bucks for my 30,000 mile maintenance:party: and the dealer wanted $600+. i did not get the tranny flushed for the owners man said it will need it at 50,000 in normal conditions (ie no track whore i guess) i saved $550.00 today. its miller time:cheers

#19 ·
So with the above mentioned fuel filter integrated into the fuel pump... how does one know if the thing needs to be changed? I just turned 36,000 miles on my car and I'd changed the transmission(6M) /diff fluid with Royal Purple at 30k. I was thinking about getting the brake fluid changed and getting a new battery installed. Is there a list of chasis lube points out there somewhere?

#20 ·
the fuel filter is internal that way when you do have a problem you have to replace the whole fuel pump how hard was it to change the 6m trans fluid i saw on HP TV they changed all the fluids in a 99 camaro ss to royal purple engine,trans,rear end, they dyno before and after 4hp gane just buy changing the fluids

#21 ·
I saw that awhile ago.

How hard would it to be change all these fluids? I'm interested to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.