Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi gang, I finally got a 90 fitting for my carb. (the other one wasnt bent properly and was hitting the radiator hose.
My concern: With the new fitting, I had to tighten the dog doo out of it to get it secure. :confused
( I didnt hold the rear big fitting with a 1'' wrench while tightening it either)
I ran the car for like 5 minutes and didnt see any leaking.....
The old one was no where near as tight......
Need I worry?
thanks as always
Tk

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Looks like a plumber's fitting to me, seriously. I would recommend the 'correct' fitting (which is a <90 bent line ) for appearance sake...but if it does not leak, you're already good to go.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Topkat,
I would recommend you change to a hard line from the pump to the carb.
You really don't want a hose there....I know many people use them, but that is not as safe as a steel line.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
On the '67, depending on application, the hard line is about 3" long at the carb end. It's a 90 degree tho'. It connects to the vapor return fuel filter, which connects to a hard line running down to the pump, which is the long end. So, it's a 2 piece hard line. I think the vendors have all that stuff. JMT455, I agree--- the less rubber on the intake, the better.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know fittings from whatever, but I got it at NAPA so it has to be right, (rolls eyes)
several times during and after running it I did shove a clean white paper towel under the fitting and on a few times there were spots of what could only be liquid on it.
there's no dripping but still,,,,,,,,,,,,
The 1/2 bent fitting in the above pic. is from a true metal fuel line and never leaked.
me thinks i should put it back?
The only difference i could see is the tubing ones flare is "double flared"

·
Registered
727 Posts
On the '67, depending on application, the hard line is about 3" long at the carb end. It's a 90 degree tho'. It connects to the vapor return fuel filter, which connects to a hard line running down to the pump, which is the long end. So, it's a 2 piece hard line. I think the vendors have all that stuff. JMT455, I agree--- the less rubber on the intake, the better.
Sorry, my mistake...should know better than to trust my memory on something like this.

I thought 67 originally had a solid hard line all the way from the pump to the carb. DOH!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
JMT, a lot of them DO. Mine has the heavy duty cooling package, and that package has a vapor return set-up. It's also an early car, so it uses the vapor return fuel filter at the T-stat housing area instead of the extra line coming off of the fuel pump. Most '67's have a one piece hard line from pump to carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts