Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems I have fuel leaking from where the fuel fitting goes into the carb and where the reducer fitting meets it. :eek:
is it ok to use teflon tape here?:confused
if not what could i use?
thanks as always

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Rukee's right. And, if you get any teflon tape into the fuel inlet, the carb will need to come apart to clear it out of the needle and seat, and maybe the jets. Go REAL EASY on the tape. I prefer not to use it, myself. DId you get the correct angled fuel line that goes from the carb to the filter/pump? Knew a guy back in high school who's '69 Judge burned to the ground because of a rigged fuel line and the resulting fire. Fuel leaks under the hood are not an option.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had some issues with my tri-power reinstall last year also. Back in '92, I had used Permatex 98H and I tried that first last year. My recollection is that (a) there's a yellow teflon tape for gasoline/etc that I used where the fitting blocks went into the carbs but that (b) sealants (tape or goo) at the flared fittings is not desireable as it's the flare that must achieve the seal, not the treaded part of the fitting that presses the flare to its seat. A tricky part is tightening enough to get a seal and also getting the angle so the fuel line lines up. And, yes, some connections have gaskets/etc; e.g., the big fitting to my cengter carb. Anyway, it's great when you finally succeed.

It worked for me as my problems were at the threaded blcok-to-carb points. I do believe someone objected to the teflon, but not sure.

BTW, I've established a habit of opening the hood after each drive, to help things cool but also to check for any leak that might be developing.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool......got the correct fitting......... zero leaks.
and NO TAPE!
so nice when ya got the right stuff.:D
:party:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts