Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel in my supply line keeps draining back through the line and into the tank. I have to disconnect the supply line at the fuel pump and suck on the the line to get it primed so the pump can do its job and I am getting tired of the taste of gas. It seems like the line is completely drained and I see no gas on the garage floor so I don't believe that it is leaking anywere.

Is there a backflow valve anywhere in the fuel system that might be worn out or is it just bad fuel lines? Shouldn't the fuel pump keep it from draining out?

I trust the forum more than I trust my mechanic.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The fuel in my supply line keeps draining back through the line and into the tank. I have to disconnect the supply line at the fuel pump and suck on the the line to get it primed so the pump can do its job and I am getting tired of the taste of gas. It seems like the line is completely drained and I see no gas on the garage floor so I don't believe that it is leaking anywere.

Is there a backflow valve anywhere in the fuel system that might be worn out or is it just bad fuel lines? Shouldn't the fuel pump keep it from draining out?

I trust the forum more than I trust my mechanic.
the only backflow valve is in the pump itself. i would replace the pump. they are cheap.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
And while you're at it, check all the rubber lines for hairline cracks. Air can enter the hoses, even if they don't leak fuel, and it allows the fuel to flow back into the tank, and keeps fuel from being drawn into the pump. Sort of like trying to drink from a straw with a hole in the side. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts