Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
The skip-shift just takes a $20 part that plugs straight into the sensor that causes the skip feature. You can just google it and find the part.

The car will run on 87 octane if you want to run it that way. the ECU is programed to recognize the octane you put in the gas tank. However, there is always the chance that when you go with the cheap stuff, you are going to end up with detonation. 10.9:1 compression is not friendly with low octane. Also, when the temperature is high outside, you are going to be even further into a dangerous zone.

Think about it this way. You are only paying $.20 more per gallon. That comes to a whopping $3.70 more to fill if you are filling from a bone dry tank. $4 is hardly worth the performance loss and the danger of engine damage if you ask me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
vetwhat said:
what kind of gas mileage can a ls2 gto get with a light foot city/hwy and what grade of fuel will the ls2 run ok with?
also can the "skip shift" be overridden?

With a heavy foot I am averaging just over 15mpg. On a trip from Houston to Austin I averaged 20.6mpg. I believe the EPA rating is 17 in the city and 24 on the hwy. I have the manual trans.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Think about it this way. You are only paying $.20 more per gallon. That comes to a whopping $3.70 more to fill if you are filling from a bone dry tank. $4 is hardly worth the performance loss and the danger of engine damage if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

The good news is that as gas prices rise, the difference of $0.20/gallon actually becomes less of a percentage of price- - -;) :D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I got 17 to 17.5 around town with a little bit more aggressive driving than average. On the highway at 80 I got 22.5 to 23.5. At 65-70 it would get 24.5-25. I had an M6 05.

Use the premium. Most people buy the car for the performance, so why not spend the couple of bucks extra to get the most. The computer will compensate for low octane fuel, so it will run ok on it. Part of the way it compensates is to retard the timing. The other way is to richen the fuel mixture. In most cases you will get better mileage with premium and that offsets some of the addittional cost. The other cost of the richer mixture is mechanical. It will make the catalitic converters run hotter and they will need to be replaced sooner. It will foul the plugs out earlier. The richer mixture will cause the oil to break down quicker. This will cause you to need to change oil sooner and/or wear out the bearings and rings sooner.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Since I haven't taken delivery of my GTO, I can't comment how the mileage would increase or suffer with lower octane.

Joined a CrossFire forum when I thought I was getting one of those. Some of those folks actually saw mileage increase with lower octane gas.

No question you won't be pumping out the same amount of horses with lower octane, but you're starting with 400 here, right?

One thing I've found on both forums is that this is a subject that many people are very passionate about (pro premium vs. it doesn't matter).

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
noz34me said:
Since I haven't taken delivery of my GTO, I can't comment how the mileage would increase or suffer with lower octane.

Joined a CrossFire forum when I thought I was getting one of those. Some of those folks actually saw mileage increase with lower octane gas.

No question you won't be pumping out the same amount of horses with lower octane, but you're starting with 400 here, right?

One thing I've found on both forums is that this is a subject that many people are very passionate about (pro premium vs. it doesn't matter).
It is taking a risk on the engine is the main reason we are so adament about it. Yes the system can compensate for it. But it is still a HUGE risk for the THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR!!!!

We are all spending allot of money on our cars and it makes little sense to save enough money for a large coffe to put your beauty of a car at risk.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
rrathea said:
I run premium only (93 octane) in my 06. On a recent trip from Tampa to Orlando running 70mph I got 25.5!! Was running cruise and no AC (it finally cooled off down here). I only average 14 - 15 in the city.

Just for the record you SUCK!!!! I love your color!!!!!

I am just kidding by the way.....its color envy

·
Registered
305 Posts
I DO like that orange.

Where on the west coast are ya? I'm gonna come and take your beautifully smooth '06 rims. You can keep the taillights. :)

Just joking. Seriously though if you ever change those rims and are looking for a buyer, let me know. I like them even better than any after market ones I've seen.

·
Registered
307 Posts
rrathea said:
I run premium only (93 octane) in my 06. On a recent trip from Tampa to Orlando running 70mph I got 25.5!! Was running cruise and no AC (it finally cooled off down here). I only average 14 - 15 in the city.
With my '04 I never even saw 24 MPG, best on a long trip was 23 and change.

My '06 is too new to tell. I would expect worse mileage with 50 more HP and 35 more ft-lbs of torque.

Edit: the '04 got nothing but Sunoco Ultra 94 or Shell V-Power 93 when I couldn't find Sunoco, the '06 still has "OEM" fuel (only 64 miles).

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is wierd that there is such a discrepancy in mileage. My longest trip to date is from Woodland Hills, Ca to Ventura, Ca, about a 70 mile round trip. I filled it to the first click at the local Chevron, took the trip, then re-filled at the same station on the same pump to the first click. The math said 26.5 at 75mph and there is a mountain pas that I had to go over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.