Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Fuel tank care? Winterization

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  silversport 
#1 ·
First of all -- Happy Veteran's Day and Thank YOU, to every Vet!

Tried a search (for the record) w/o success so, here goes:

Through no choice of my own, I am going to have to park my '66 for at least 3-4 months this winter (can't / won't drive if there is even a chance of roadsalt, anyway).

I have been running her just fine on the highest octane gas I can buy at the pump, without any fuel (lead) 'additive'; however; there is still obviously ethanol in what I have been using.

How do you store ('winterize') your car / fuel system long term?

A buddy suggested an approriate amount of Marine Formula STA-BIL which is what I use on small engines with success but, this is an ALL ORIGINAL 389 tri-power. I am not exxagerating when I say ALL original, either and therefore; I don't want to take any stupid chances . . .

Thanks in advance, this forum and the expertise of the members really does rock!

See less See more
#3 ·
I always take her to the gas station, add the appropriate amount of sta-bil then fill the tank to the brim to keep as much condensation as possible out of the tank. I then drive home to circulate the sta-bil through the fuel system then finally dump some sta-bil right down the carb then shut her off for the winter. Been doing this or a long time, never a problem with rancid gas or gum in the carb. Fires right up in the spring, smokes a little till you get the old gas burnt out, I usually burn 1/2 the tank then fill it with fresh preimum fuel, runs great. Wish I didn't have to put her away for the winter either, but it's part of life in this part of the country.

#4 ·
I will drive mine in the winter when the weather allows. I do put stabil in the gas tank along with HEET (gasline anti-freeze and water remover). Will run the car & motor to mix. I will use the gas in the tank all winter then in the spring I will add more HEET and go put fresh gas in.

#5 ·
SANDU002, kilkm68, GTO JUDGE, thank you all! I didn't want to seem overly 'obsessive'; however; I have heard some pretty horrific stories about gas with ethanol, etc in it, after it gets too old, etc. No way I want to risk anything with this original 389. Thanks again for your time and assist!

#7 ·
Another follow up question regarding storage. Would you recommend disconnecting the battery? I am looking to rent an indoor storage locker for the winter so I can free up my garage for my truck.

#8 ·
Yes, definitely disconnect the battery. Check with the storage place as they may actually require that you remove it altogether. When I used to store the Monte, the insurance required all cars to remove their batteries due to fire hazard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.