Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused Are the hood scoops on the 05 functional? When I test drove one it didn't look as though they were and the engine still gets it's air from the air box on the side... The dealer told me that he thought the inlet on the hood opened up at a certain speed to allow cooler air to flow over the engine to keep it cool... I think he's full of crap!

What are the facts?

If it's not functional, are there any kit's that can make it functional? Could I get a carbonfiber hood as a replacement? There have to be quite a few mod's for the GTO seeing how it's been in Australia for a while.

Any suggestions?

:confused

·
Registered
50 Posts
The are not functional for air intake but do provide cooler air into the engine bay like someone stated above.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The are not functional for air intake but do provide cooler air into the engine bay like someone stated above.
So it does provide some cooler air to the engine bay? Do you have to cut the holes out of the scoop or does it open up at a certain speed? When I was looking at the car it looked as though the scoop was just there for looks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I looked at an '05 at the dealer, it seemed to me that there was some kind of a removable blocker plate inside each scoop duct, but not anything that would actuate at speed or otherwise. The ducting definitely goes all the way through the hood panel though, so you could say that the ram air system is 50% complete.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
PWR_SHIFT said:
When I looked at an '05 at the dealer, it seemed to me that there was some kind of a removable blocker plate inside each scoop duct, but not anything that would actuate at speed or otherwise. The ducting definitely goes all the way through the hood panel though, so you could say that the ram air system is 50% complete.

Quasi-functional hood scoops... :rofl:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dealers are so full of #$&^. I was test driving a Sunfire once, years ago, I asked the dealed what the button on the gear shift was, he said it was to shift it out of park. I knew what it was, it was for the traction control. Dealers will answer a question weather they know the answer or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I asked my dealer/sales rep and he idnt know so he went and brought out a mechanic. He said not functional. He said the gaskets are there to keep rair/water from blowing into your engine compartment. Went on to say that in hot weather driving you "might" get a bit of a cooling effect from the extra circulation but doubtful. Really only for looks ..but it is ready for kit if some one made one and saves you the cost of a new hood or modifying the one you have.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I spoke to a guy at a local dealership who handles all the parts and after market upgrades for the dealership...he said Pontiac has "no plans" on making a kit. I took out the inserts once, just to see what would happen. I had alittle more wind noise, it felt as if it was cooler (call me weird, but i can tell when it gets to hot, it performs different). However, i put them back in after a 25 mile drive. I did not want to collect dirt n stuff in the engine bay. Also just FYI, but that dud i was talking about at the dealership, well he struck a deal with OZ to custom make racing wheels for the GTO. They are sick! He is the only one who can get them, and i foud a site where you can order any O.E.M rim that Holden makes, even the ones sold in England. If anyone is intrested, let me know and i will send you a picture of the OZ rims.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.