Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Here it goes, 68 gto 400 4 spd. Points dist. I had it running. All was good but as it idled it shut down. I have no power to anything into the car. Fuse box, lights, ignition switch, literally nothing going into the car. I do have power from the battery to the starter. I test the starter and it operation. it’s good. I’ve been tracing and checking wiring with an ohm meter to see if maybe there’s a disable link that went south on me. Haven’t found it yet. Could the fuse box have burned out ? I expected to find or see a 12v power source going to the fuse box from somewhere under the hood ( battery or starter?) but nothing yet. I was going to run a bypass wire from the battery to the battery tab on the back of the ignition switch to see what powers up but haven’t done that yet. I did however check the ignition switch with a meter and all positions seem to operate as they should. Sorry such a long thread, hope I have enough info. I’m sure I forgot something. LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I would start with the wire from from the starter to the bundle of wires above the manifold, in that bundle are the wires feeding the fuse block and connecting to the alternator, you probably have a loose connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and the wire diagram!! This will help greatly. When I find the issue I will post what it was, where and the resolution. 👍😎👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there again, it’s been a while but I’ve checking and tracing wires in between work, kids, activities etc etc.. LOL. Found a break in a couple wires in addition to a fuseable link that burned out Not sure which happened first but once all were replaced/repaired the goat has life in it again. Thanks to the forum and the willingness to other members who reach out and reply. Hoping I can pay it forward some time. On to the next step. Gonna mess with the brakes so I can test drive it and see how the clutch and flywheel feel. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts