Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
501 RWHP & 469 RWTQ
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever turned there gas cap until it clicks and then find out that they can open as though it never locked in place? I turned mine until it clicked and then it just lifted right up like it was never closed.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
05GOAT said:
Has anyone ever turned there gas cap until it clicks and then find out that they can open as though it never locked in place? I turned mine until it clicked and then it just lifted right up like it was never closed.
:willy: i was the same way dont push down hard to put it back on just twit it and it should lock. dont force it and waw law

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also had a struggle in trying to get the gas cap to lock. Never got an engine check or anything , just never felt tight. On my first oil change , I mentioned it to the service writer and he demo'd it - I was pushing down on the cap before I stated the twist , the trick is to just twist the cap : Not push down. Very different than my previous car and with practice it's no longer an issue...

Don't forget the Groucho trick and get a tie cord for the gas cap storage when filling up . Also the trick of keeping the front end lower than back end when pumping eliminated the issue of not getting a full tank even though the pump handle is clicking full...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.