Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my gas cap will not go back on after getting gas. i know the CEL will appear. as i did a search i found this thread about the gas cap is good for 120,00 miles. i dont remember getting this letter from GM. can anyone help me out. the car just went out of factory warranty. but i do have the ext warranty with a $100 ded. i dont want to pay 100 for a gas cap

http://www.gtoforum.com/f3/gas-cap-warranty-13917/

who can fax me a copy of this letter?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is the cap visibly broken? I don't think a new cap would be to expensive.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did recieve a notice from GM about the gas cap. I believe it only effects the 04 models. If the gas cap fails and activates the CEL, then GM will replace the cap, at no charge for up to 10yr/120k miles. If you replaced your cap already and paid out of pocket, GM will reimburse you for the cost of the replacement.
I will have to look around for it, as I can't find it at the moment.

Russ

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Funny.......The other day my check engine light came on. I suspected the gas cap. I took it to the dealer to check it and sure enough a gas cap code. I removed the cap numerous times cleaning it and reinstalling it but the check engine light stayed on.

The check engine light came on 4 days after I filled it. The engine light stayed on for a day and a half and while on the way over to the dealer the light went off. My service writer reset the computer and so far the check engine light hasn't come back on even after I refilled the tank.

I was told on 2004's there were problems with stress on the tanks filler spout causing gas cap codes to pop up. I dunno anything about that but I was told that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts