Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas is crazy high and I was curious does anyone ever use 87 or 89 rathe then premioum? I actually pumped in 87 couple days ago just to see how it goes and I hope nothign is going to happen to the goat!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've never used 87 gas before, always 91 or higher octane. Now that I have it programmed w/ the superchips handheld I have no choice but to use 91 octane or higher. I think you will just have reduced performance if you put in 87 since it retards the engine timing to prevent knocking. I'm sure someone else will chime in here on the matter.

·
Registered
476 Posts
From what I understand, it depends how it is phrased in the owners manual. "Premium Recommended" means that you can safely use 87 with just reduced peformance. If it says "Premium Required", then you may risk engine damage as in a turbo charged car. just my .02

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
This is out of the Get to know your GTO literature that came with the car.

Premium unleaded fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended
for best performance. Using regular or
middle-grade fuel of 87 octane or higher
is permissible, but the vehicle’s acceleration
may be slightly reduced. If fuel
with an octane rating of less than 87 is
used, you may hear a heavy knocking
noise that can damage your engine. In
this instance, you should fill the fuel tank
with higher-octane fuel as soon as
possible.
After fueling, ensure that the gas cap
is installed correctly and tightly. If it
is loose or missing, the malfunction
indicator lamp will light steadily. If a
loose gas cap is the cause, a few
driving trips after properly tightening
the gas cap should cause the light to
go out. If the light remains on, have
the vehicle serviced.
See Section 5 of your Owner Manual.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Im in the Chicago area close to the Indiana border and i go to Whiting and there its 3.69 regular so that makes it 3.89 premium. I have always put premium, i dont know im just scared of putting anything else.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I noticed something going through my pictures. I took this picture on 05/29/08 by my cellphone.

This was when I though gas prices are ridiculous. After that picture, within about a month the Price for 91 skyrocketed to $5.19 at that same gas station. Today.... that gas station reads $4.49 for 91. HmmMm... Remind you of stocks? :willy:

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Why buy a performance car if you aren't going to spend the extra 10-20 cents for the right fuel? It only costs an extra couple bucks per fill-up.
:agree I suggest you sit down and do some math and see how much you'll save. You may or may not get the best fuel economy with lower octane. So you may be spending the same amount of money anyway.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I disagree. The computer is designed to run on 87 octane if needed. In this time of gas prices I have filled up with 87 octane many times with no ill effects except lower power and gas mileage. Now here is the crunch point. The gas mileage can differ as much as 15%, if that is so, it is not cost effective to run 87 octane if it only 20 cents more. Cost wise it is a bit more if the difference between regular and premium runs more than 30 cents. In a fill up though the actual difference nets around $4.00 more. If you are counting costs or fill up as often as I do, that $4.00 can make a difference. If not, don't worry about it.
I am glad that the LS 2 engine has that kind of versatility. GTO, a great car and even better investment.

By the way, GTO Judge, got any buyers yet? The other day I was in a local stealership looking at the new Challenger, there were definitely some fellas with no brain pan looking at that car, $25,000 over MSRP. They might be good candidates for your GTO.:D

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
By the way, GTO Judge, got any buyers yet? The other day I was in a local stealership looking at the new Challenger, there were definitely some fellas with no brain pan looking at that car, $25,000 over MSRP. They might be good candidates for your GTO.:D
LOL......No suckers, I mean buyers yet. It seems people want the SAP without the car. I just don't get it, the car is FREE. Take the SAP with the car attached, strip the SAP off then sell the car, make a tidy profit. Through careful calculations taking into account how long the car has been offered for sale, accrued appreciation of the SAP, interest on the accrued appreciation of SAP, the extended break in time that I have been monitoring to assure the potential buyer the SAP is firmly, and securely attached, the clear bra I put on the SAP to further safe guard the durability, the new asking price is 150K.

Now before anyone laughs, or thinks I am out of line with my asking price, the complete SAP on my car was offered about a year ago when SAP parts were ONLY merely 100-200% over dealer list.....MY SAP asking price started at 80K. I gave everyone a chance to take the SAP at that time for my asking price and I was going to throw the car in for FREE, and as an added incentive, I was going to throw in all the little goodies I have acquired for the car that are still new in boxes. I had no takers. I warned everyone if the SAP can not be moved in an alloted time frame I would be forced to increase the price to allow for inflation. Well, I had no choice. I had no interested parties, so I was forced to up the liquidation price of my SAP. I am still using the Barrett Jackson sliding rule collector car appreciation calculator to make sure I don't let the SAP with the car attached go for too low a price. I don't want to rip myself off. I think this low mileage SAP with a car already attached is well worth the price.

With dealers marking hot new cars up customers standing in line, pants pulled down to their ankles, bent over a golden rail spread eagle just waiting for the dealer to insert their markup inside their holy grail as they eagerly anticipate their "sodomization," I can only hope to find just one person with an empty cranium eager enough to show me da money. :eek:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I suggest you sit down and do some math and see how much you'll save. You may or may not get the best fuel economy with lower octane. So you may be spending the same amount of money anyway.
The 1st time I experimented with a partial tank of mid grade fuel (25% 89 octane to 75% 93 octane), I saw a slight bump in MPG... the next time I tried the experiment with a 50/50 ratio, I saw a big drop in MPG... The 3rd and last time was no different from the 2nd after filling with the same ratios as the 1st. More 93 to 89 but a noticeable drop in MPG. I didn't feel any drop in around town on the street performance.

My conclusion, its a waste of time and money to play that game.

I can also say, after refueling and resetting all the trip computer display features based on the previous tank of gas, within a few miles the computer's avg MPG reading can show you the quality of fuel just pumped vrs what you recently burned.

If done consistently, you'll know when you got a tank full of less then advertised octane....

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
:agree I suggest you sit down and do some math and see how much you'll save. You may or may not get the best fuel economy with lower octane. So you may be spending the same amount of money anyway.
Here's the math for everyone.

If you drive 15,000 miles per year that breaks down to 1250 miles per month. If you average 19mpg between city and hwy combined you use 65.78 gallons per month. We'll round it to 66 gallons.

In most places the price of premium is 20 cents higher than regular. Your total extra cost per month is $13.20 per month. If your difference is 30 cents between regular and premium it's $19.80 per month.

There is the chance your mileage will suffer, but even if it doesn't is it worth it??? My opinion is if you spend the money to buy a premium performance car you should spend the extra 15 or 20 bucks per month to feed it with the fuel that is the correct fuel for the vehicle.

If your fuel economy drops by 5% by using regular, that means you are using 69.25 gallons per month. The extra 3.5 gallons costs $12.95 at 3.70 per gallon. So how much did you really save now??? That' with just a 5% drop in fuel economy.

In my opinion it just isn't worth it to use regular. They designed the motor to perform at peak efficiency with premium.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just as important as grade, maybe more so, is the content of ethanol. Just read an article about ethanol damaging engines -- especially small and marine engines. Since I also have a motorcycle and outboard, I'm now concerned about which brands use the least or, better, no ethanol. From what little info I've found, premium fuel may not contain ethanol. But like everything you read on the net, you've got to add the grain of salt. Anyone know of any definitive information on the subject?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Just as important as grade, maybe more so, is the content of ethanol. Just read an article about ethanol damaging engines -- especially small and marine engines. Since I also have a motorcycle and outboard, I'm now concerned about which brands use the least or, better, no ethanol. From what little info I've found, premium fuel may not contain ethanol. But like everything you read on the net, you've got to add the grain of salt. Anyone know of any definitive information on the subject?
The maximum content of etanol is regulated by the federal government and each individual state government has regulations too. The federal cap is 15% ethanol. Some states have set the cap at 10% and most car manufacturers suggest 10% as a cap. All pumps have a label saying may contain up to X% ethanol. Here in Florida it is 10% and they just started adding it this summer.

All motor vehicles built after a certain date ( I think it's 1991 or 1992) must be able to run on at least 15% ethanol enhanced fuel. Most small motor manufacturers followed and made their motors able to run on up to 15% ethanol.

There is a product labeled E85 that is 85% ethanol. By law it has to be labeled as E85 and can't be dispensed from a pump also dispensing regular gas. It can only be run in certain cars that are designed to run on E85.

Premium, Midgrade and Regular all have the same amount of ethanol usually. If anything premium would have more since ethanol is a higher octane and that would be a cheap way to increase octane.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The maximum content of etanol is regulated by the federal government and each individual state government has regulations too. The federal cap is 15% ethanol. Some states have set the cap at 10% and most car manufacturers suggest 10% as a cap. All pumps have a label saying may contain up to X% ethanol. Here in Florida it is 10% and they just started adding it this summer.

All motor vehicles built after a certain date ( I think it's 1991 or 1992) must be able to run on at least 15% ethanol enhanced fuel. Most small motor manufacturers followed and made their motors able to run on up to 15% ethanol.

There is a product labeled E85 that is 85% ethanol. By law it has to be labeled as E85 and can't be dispensed from a pump also dispensing regular gas. It can only be run in certain cars that are designed to run on E85.

Premium, Midgrade and Regular all have the same amount of ethanol usually. If anything premium would have more since ethanol is a higher octane and that would be a cheap way to increase octane.
Man I wish could find the article that stated that the old octane booster in gasoline fell into EPA disfavor and some companies were using ethanol as a means of increasing octane numbers. Accordingly, they do not have to label it. Anyone else heard or read about this?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Gas is crazy high and I was curious does anyone ever use 87 or 89 rathe then premioum? I actually pumped in 87 couple days ago just to see how it goes and I hope nothign is going to happen to the goat!

Never run low octane gas on your GOAT. You need 91 octane or higher at all times.
We all know the price of gas is crazy but the difference in 10 Gallons of 87 compared to 10 gallons of 91 octane will only be about $3.00

87 octane $4.00 per gallon
91 Octane $4.30 per gallon

·
Registered
585 Posts
Never run low octane gas on your GOAT. You need 91 octane of higher at all times.
We all know the price of gas is crazy but the difference in 10 Gallons of 87 compared to 10 gallons of 91 octane will only be about $3.00

87 octane $4.00 per gallon
91 Octane $4.30 per gallon
Lowet, have you read your auto manual? It states that it is quite acceptable to burn 87 octane, unless you have been tuned, or made modifications with a tuning.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts