Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just testing my starter shim job and noticed a few drops of gas leaking from the base of the carb. Drivers side middle (right over the crossover):willy:
On the manifold I have the carb gasket the rebuilder sent me, then the metal one, then the carb.
Is this correct?
I didn't want to tighten the carb 'till I check with the experts........
thanks as always.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Yeah, that's correct, but it shouldn't be leaking fuel from the base gasket just sitting there. It COULD be seepage if the carb is not snug, and that's not an issue. If its actual gas running on the intake, you have to fix it....it's a carb or fuel line problem. Shoot us a picture. Also, be sure not to over tighten the carb....

·
Registered
704 Posts
will never be the base gasket if gasoline is leaking, has to be above that, like the throttle shaft, or body gaskets, fuel line, etc.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tightened the carb a tad more, it wasn't real tight nor is it now.
Its real hard to tell where it's dripping from but it seems like it's where my finger is. like where the 2 gaskets "hangs over the edge"of the intake.
ty as always

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Your carb looks like it's leaking fuel out of the throttle shaft. This is not an issue with the throttle shaft, but rather an issue with fule pooling in the throttle bores after shutdown or during operation. With the engine idling, remove the air cleaner and look down the primaries in the carb. At idle, you should not see fuel dripping. Now, shut it down and take a quick look. Is there fuel bubbling on the throttle plates? If so, you may have a bad needle/seat in the carb or the float level is too high. Good luck.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
can I just put a thin bit of goo between the throttle plate and the metal 'gasket" (which was upon install is sad shape)?
thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
the problem is not that the gas is coming out. the problem is no gas should be there to leak out. if the gasket was leaking it would suck air in, not let gas out. the gas can only leak from there when the car is not running. the only way that can happen is by gas leaking from the bowl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts