Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you all can help me out with this problem.

After I got my GTO, I drove it around town quite a bit, but still had some open road time on her where I didn the proper break-in. During this time, it seemed like I averaged around 18 MPG or so. Then, things went wrong...I started reading some threads around here about gas mileage, and something happened. Before long, I was setting the cruise control, turning on the stereo, staying out on the open road, and getting around 23! My God!!!!

Luckily, I snapped out of it and have done the following to help lower the MPG to a respectable level.

• I drive through town when I don't have to
  • I drive through parking lots and other places where people gather when I don't have to
  • I rarely drive in 6th anymore - 5th sounds much better
  • When in 5th, I slow down a bit, then punch the throttle when approaching another muscle car or any car that has its windows rolled down

Any other suggestions on how to reduce that mileage? I'm thinking one of these should help:

johnebgoode said:
Gerry

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Try not to look past the front edge of your hood. This will assure a lot of unnecessary hard braking, which will also reduce the life of your brake pads and rotors.

Run the A/C with the windows open, even when it's cold outside.

Turn the T/C off, and at every stop light, and stop sign, make sure everyone can tell- - -

Downshift- - -a lot- - -

And better yet, for short runs into the store or in the house, just leave the car running; don't turn it off. If you're lucky, someone else may happen by that has your same interest in reducing gas mileage, and will be happy to do so for you. :rofl:

·
Registered
585 Posts
How kind of you to support your local fuel producer. Brought to you by Your own Petroleum and Gas Industry.

Burn more and pay more, we will keep more because we know it is going to end some day. More subtile ways:

1. Turn off your engine at stop lights, it takes more to start the engine again.

2. When approaching traffic, place the transmission in neutral and rev up your engine to let folks know you are there.

3. When using an approach to highways. Always redline in each gear then put it in 4th to slow down to the highway speed.

4. Be sure to burn your tires in all gears as much as possible, tires require petroleum too.

5. Heat your house with your GTO during the winter. This is particularily useful in a Cape Cod type structure. Drive your GTO in the front door and leave it running. Be sure to vent the gasses, we don't want you ending up dead.

6. Jack up the back end of your GTO. Take some bindertwine and attach the handle to your ice cream freezer. Run the GTO at idle and when the bindertwine breaks, wallah, ice cream ( My grandfather used to do that with his Model T he had up on blocks.)

7. Never go beyond 4th gear no matter what, besides you have more power in that gear than in 5th or 6th.

8. Never change the air filter or gas filter until the car sputters and dies.

9. When you can't sleep, take the car for a short drive, no more than a block and as frequently as you wake up.

10. (Finally) Around cops, burn rubber and go as fast as you can safely. Remember, the educational system needs money too. Where does your ticket money go?:D

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
So you want bad gas mileage huh?

See this moose I copied from GTO judge's avatar

Well, give her and her twin sisters (their triplets) a ride during rush hour traffic on the 110 freeway in Los Angeles. If your gas mileage doesn't go down, your suspension damn sure will.

HEY HEY HEY !!!!!! That moose has a name, it's Sheba. Although she is HUGE, FOOGLY, and homely, she is pleasant. Now I will admit, when I take her with me my MPG is reduced by 5 mpg, a few blondes and a hoard of brunets.

She has a sister, and when I transport them to buffets and assorted dinner engagements, I find my MPG greatly reduced. But I figure, I will sacrifice MPG for security. I am leaning on air shocks to help with the ride. Also my struts whine when I have them both in the car. But despite all that, it's is a small price to pay for security

Does anyone know how to get body stench out of leather?

·
Registered
71 Posts
GTO judge said:
HEY HEY HEY !!!!!! That moose has a name, it's Sheba. Although she is HUGE, FOOGLY, and homely, she is pleasant. Now I will admit, when I take her with me my MPG is reduced by 5 mpg, a few blondes and a hoard of brunets.

She has a sister, and when I transport them to buffets and assorted dinner engagements, I find my MPG greatly reduced. But I figure, I will sacrifice MPG for security. I am leaning on air shocks to help with the ride. Also my struts whine when I have them both in the car. But despite all that, it's is a small price to pay for security

Does anyone know how to get body stench out of leather?
She may not be what you want, but she will damn sure be all you want!:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
so, how do you get one of them in the back seat? If your drivin, and your taking two of them, i need to see a video of that...

Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Cadsbury said:
so, how do you get one of them in the back seat? If your drivin, and your taking two of them, i need to see a video of that...

Chris
How do I get one in the back seat? Lots of pushing and wedging ... with a digging iron. Getting her out is the tough part.

I am in the process of installing wheelie popping braces to eliminate the 30 degree front end lift when launching.

As far as video taping.... I haven't found a wide angle lense wide enough to capture the moments. Video taping the ride? Well,.. picture 400 horses crying.

She is an attention getter.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
GTO judge said:
How do I get one in the back seat? Lots of pushing and wedging ... with a digging iron. Getting her out is the tough part.

I am in the process of installing wheelie popping braces to eliminate the 30 degree front end lift when launching.

As far as video taping.... I haven't found a wide angle lense wide enough to capture the moments. Video taping the ride? Well,.. picture 400 horses crying.

Two of those in the back seat, and you would have all the traction you need in the winter!

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
GTO judge said:

Why don't you put hydraulics on the body of the car? That way you can lift it up about 6 feet so Orca can just roll in.

Maybe I'm seeing things but isn't there a valve stem on her right nipple for deflating her?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Why don't you put hydraulics on the body of the car? That way you can lift it up about 6 feet so Orca can just roll in.

Maybe I'm seeing things but isn't there a valve stem on her right nipple for deflating her?
I thought of hydraulics but that is more suited for the 66 chebbys.

That valve stem you see is an auxiliary feeding inlet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GNX231 said:
Great Post Finally
Well, I'd love it if this car got 50MPG, but that's not why I got it. Yesterday on the way to work on I-55 near Arnold, MO, I took a sip of coffee, turned my head back to the front, and noticed something to my left. It was a Firebird with 3-4 guys in it all waving and egging me on. Countermeasures enabled, I dropped it in 4th, and livened up the ambient sound level in northern Jefferson Co. :rofl: THATS what I bought this car for.

On the way home from picking up a couple bags of charcoal, I took the back way home tonight. I was just lollygaging when all of a sudden I see a 4-wheeler a couple feet off my back bumper. Yow! It is a Highway 1-like road, so I was standing on it, and Jr. was on my bumper, but not able to pass. As soon as I hit the first strait, I ran it up to 4th, and shut her down. Never looked to see what I was doing, but it was probably 120+.

I slowed to let Jr. catch up, and we ran again, right past my house :willy: I turned in at the next subdivision and waved, so Jr. Turned in. He waited, and I pulled up to that beast he was riding. He asked me "How fast were yo going?!?!?? Sorry guy...I was paying attention to the tach and driving. Didn't see the brand, but it was a 450. That thing could flat haul in the twisies.

THAT'S why I got this car...not to get 25 MPG :cool

Gerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.