Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my GTO Sept 25. Needless to say, it's just amazing. I was very impressed to find out the kind of gas mileage I was to expect on the highway. I came from a VW Passat that got 30, so an EPA rating of 29 for the Goat (with manual) seemed great. I'm so far from it though. Right now it has 1100 miles, so it still needs a lot of breaking in I'm sure. But right now on the highway I'll get around 24 doing very easy speeds. I average 16 when city driving is involved. And if it's all city, I'm around 12, driving very reasonably. Not good. I hope it improves as the miles pile on, as they are doing very quickly. Any other feed back on your experiences with mileage would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interesting that so many GTO owners would be concerned about MPG...

However, with my A4, and heavy Stop-n-crawl city driving, mine is getting about 15, some times up to 16.

I'm rather surprised that the hiway driving, at about an 90mph average, was only about 19. I would have thought with its slippery shape that it would have cut thru the wind better than that. Doing country (but non-expressway) driving here in AR, keeping it under 60 and its in the 22-24 range.

---Larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am easy on the gas pedal and have yet to get less than 18 mpg (mostly city). This includes the ocassional "demo" drive for a friend during which I have to nail it a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
My average-- including driving up and down a 4000' mountain and some city driving as a part of commute-- hovers around 19 mpg. I can get it down to 21 mpg if I keep my foot out of it.

But I didn't buy a GTO to keep my foot out of it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Groucho said:
My average-- including driving up and down a 4000' mountain and some city driving as a part of commute-- hovers around 19 mpg. I can get it down to 21 mpg if I keep my foot out of it.

But I didn't buy a GTO to keep my foot out of it.
I agree whole heartedly!

But I'll tell you one thing - I am soooo envious of your commute now - My trip out to AR to visit my parents just barely did some of the beginning "hills" (which are pretty steep to this ILLINOIS flat-lander) and oh my the GTO is FUN to take up and DOWN those hills! Even my wife was going "WEEEEEEEE!" as we'd go down, with my foot off the gas @about 80-90MPH (and still picking up speed) listening to the GTO exhaust rumble! :cheers

---Larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry,
That 55 I was referring to was miles per hour. Seems like EPA is off on most of these type cars. Saw Cobra owners complaining about 11MPG. With today's technology you should be able to get 30 with most any engine providing you keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Groucho,
Yes, you are probably right, but one things for sure the higher the numbers on the rear end ratio the lower the gas mileage figures. I think the GTO is 3:42 to 1 while the Cobra is 3:55 to 1. You Gotta Pay the Cost To Be The BOSS.
Later

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
HOT GOAT said:
Hi Groucho,
Yes, you are probably right, but one things for sure the higher the numbers on the rear end ratio the lower the gas mileage figures. I think the GTO is 3:42 to 1 while the Cobra is 3:55 to 1. You Gotta Pay the Cost To Be The BOSS.
Later
:agree

Did anyone actually think that you'd see those propagandistic EPA numbers with a 5.7L LS1 under the bonnet (the same numbers I was seeing with my 2.3L straight-six in my old 323i)? If so, I have some very bitchen beachfront property in Utah for you....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Now that the Olympics are over I'll take that beach front although I'd rather live in Moab than Salt Lake City.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts