Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
No Mom & Pops. Only front line corporate.

And if you really want a kick, mix 1/3 of your tank with unleaded race gas :D

Your CEL lights will come on until your through with about 1/4 of the next tank of fuel.

It's a total different animal on some juice :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stick w/Chevron as a first choice, Mobil as a second. Avoid any discount service stations. Also, don't buy gas if the fueling truck is there. (When they are fueling, any debris in the bottom of the tanks gets kicked up).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I own 2 gas station and have worked for corporate oil companies before. I know in my area it is all the same. Most companies buy it where they can get it the cheapest. Even the well known companies such as Mobil will buy it from another for different reasons i.e. suppy shortage. Sunoco offers a 94 octane but for the most part, it is all the same stuff. I definitely agree though, don't fuel if the truck is there. It does stir the tank up but each pump has a filter that I would guess catches 99% of the junk but on severaly occasions I have had to go out and change a filter because someone was getting gas when the tanker was there and it pulled it right into the filter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, i was just asking. Being that a gallon of premium gas is going for 2.55, i was thinking of putting in some regular unleaded gas. Times are tough and the goat has to tough it out with me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've actually been experimenting with 93 and 89 octane since I got my car (an A4). So far, very consistantly, I've had better mileage with 89 than I have with 93. I thought it would be the opposite, but I've had mileage in the low 17's with 93 and low to mid 19's with 89. I can't tell the difference between them when driving, they feel the same although acceleration is supposed to suffer using lesser octane.

·
Registered
590 Posts
These cars are so much more quiet inside than my SS Camaro, I'd doubt if you could hear the detonation from low octane fuel.

I know many SS Camaro owners reported noisy detonation, and some lack of performance when regular unleaded ran in the LS1. This was a heated topic on the SS owners forum for years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even the owner's manual says that you can use 89 octane. i've been having to pump 89 in the goat due to our rather high gas prices. i've really never felt any difference. WESTELL. what part of houston do you live in? i use to live in Pasa(STINKY)dena. God, i hate that town. you gas up at Stop-N-Rob?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sonoco 100 octane from Sears Point (Infineon Raceway) is the additive.

Only 76 gas goes in my goats. No MTBE even though it is suppose to be out of all gas by the start of this year.

G

·
Was at the track last night for my first time experience as a spectator on the drag races. It was 1/4 mile all night long. I was sitting there with the expectation to see and learn on how to race so that I may get into the races at some point when I know more. I wanted to see what other cars do. Gee, I saw cars in hte 7 to 9 secs which are off road all the way. Then I saw many others at 11 to 13 sec range. Only kids with their mom's Echo tyupe of cars were in the 16 to 19 sec range. Unfortunately there were no cars like Q 35's, 350 Z's, Mustangs and the like.

As I was going out I sort of made friends there with some guys who happen to be high performance mechanics and they told me you can get VP racing gas, SUNOCO and other brand racing gas sold by the gallon in racing shops for your car but that since there are no additives that I should blend this gasoline with premium 93 octane gas to ensure no engine wear.

What's your input on these type of racing gasolines and what kinds are therte available?

·
Registered
194 Posts
By putting race gas with pump gas, one is trying to raise the octane level to prevent predetonation thus eliminating knock retard. Knock retard takes out timing which will rob the car of power.

Mix a little bit of 100 octane with 91 to get a blend of about 94. I usually add a 1/4 tank of 100 with 3/4 tank of 91. Do not use leaded gas for it will burn up the cats and through engine codes dealing with the rear O2 sensors.

·
Registered
590 Posts
WESTELL. what part of houston do you live in? i use to live in Pasa(STINKY)dena. God, i hate that town. you gas up at Stop-N-Rob?[/QUOTE]

Got my business near IAH airport. Live near Tomball / Spring.

Stop-n-Rob - only if I had to. It'll run, just not as good on 89, won't hurt the motor, computer'll compensate.

Adearmas - a lot of race / performance shops got the juice, and you can always buy it at the track, but they charge more, typically.

like i wrote above, mix 1/3 or 1/4 UNLEADED race gas and you got a goat on steroids :D sometimes, it'll throw engine code, but goes away during next "pure" tankfull of "tank" gasoline.

G

·
Was told by these mechanics to use the racing gas conservatively because it has no additives and no lubricants and my rings and pistons can suffer, especially if I do not fill my tank afterwards with brand gasoline. They told me to get the car almost empty to the track and add with the gasoline mixture just to the level where the low fuel indicator light goes on to avoid the excess weight. I should bring with me like a 5 gal tank with the mixture and some spare gas just in case I run out of gas. After the race go directly to a regular gas station and to fill it up with gasoline to dilute further any remaining racing fuel in the tank. I was also told to test varous tire pressures.

On brand gasoline vs generic gasoline I only put 93 octane Esso gas. Shell and Texaco are also ok. Other brands may vary state from state. I only fill it up at a large corporate gas station located on a visible, high traffic area. Why? Because some privately owned gas stations without much exposure cheat on the gas company by adding generic gasoline to their tanks to increase profit margins, which is actually illegal.

It is my understanding, if I am wrong I would like some reaction, that though all gasoline coming out of the refinery is the same brands vary in their additives. Additives are essential for your engine's performance, mantainance and durability. I keep away from generic gasoline and only fill it up with Esso, Texaco or Shell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts