Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
enj,

Most cars don't have their gas tank sitting body high in the trunk only separated by the back seat. That is a modification to pass US safety standards, can you say 1970's Pintos? I wouldn't touch it. that trunk will crumple in a rear end collision and I suspect you need that cage. Aftermarket titanium fiber gas cage replacement anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it weights 25lbs!!!!! a hit hard enough to push the back of the car in that far is not going to be stopped by that silly cage. plus, if the tank was ruptured, it would leak fuel, not blow up like in the movies! there is also a sheet of thin metal that blocks the tank from the back seats. all cars have a tank that is in a potantially dangerous place if hit in a certain angle or severity. mustangs tanks are right out under the rear bumper with nothing more than a plastic cover over them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
If you want to move the tank under the car like it was supposed to be there is a place in orange, ca that will do this for a price. I just saw the car last night at irwindale dragstrip and I looked really weird to see a trunk on our cars. If you want to see their twin turbo goat go to teamscss.com. The guy also told me that they are working on producing the gauge clusters that you can order of jhp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
retarded, and not worth the time to remove. Whats 25lbs matter in a street car? Even if you race your car, it doesnt matter, unless you shave alot more weight than that, it's not gonna matter at all, c'mon, people are getting silly. Wanna save weight? go on a diet, and dont give fat chics rides. To easy. And about the trunk space, the car was bought knowing how big the trunk was, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
chrisGTO said:
retarded, and not worth the time to remove. Whats 25lbs matter in a street car? Even if you race your car, it doesnt matter, unless you shave alot more weight than that, it's not gonna matter at all, c'mon, people are getting silly. Wanna save weight? go on a diet, and dont give fat chics rides.
He's right.:cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your wrong guy. 25 lbs is a lot of weight and especially for a street car. and yes, i know what i am talking about. i raced professionally for 10 years all over the world. www.enjracing.com if you remove some of these silly things and add up all the weight (about 100lbs), it is pretty noticable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
enjracing said:
your wrong guy. 25 lbs is a lot of weight and especially for a street car. and yes, i know what i am talking about. i raced professionally for 10 years all over the world. www.enjracing.com if you remove some of these silly things and add up all the weight (about 100lbs), it is pretty noticable.

Like I said in the other thread- not that they are bad people- they are all pretty cool, but this is the wrong forum for this stuff- they just aren't "into" it like that.

You are 100% correct- every little bit does add up. If you go by the "every 100# is 1/10", it adds up quick. Just not something every one cares about- especially here, they appreciate the car for being comfortable and fast. I personally was disappointed in it's performance, but for being a stock car for $30k with a warranty and all, it isn't bad at all and I'll take care of the "not fast enough" part :).

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree with you kwiktsi. i am not stating that these things "need" to be removed, i am just saying that YES, they do make a small difference. maybe some people wouldn't even notice though. i was surprised to hear that you were not happy with the performance of the GTO? for the money and for the weight, it's quite impressive. anything that does 0-60 in the mid 4's for around 30 grand is impressive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
enjracing said:
i agree with you kwiktsi. i am not stating that these things "need" to be removed, i am just saying that YES, they do make a small difference. maybe some people wouldn't even notice though. i was surprised to hear that you were not happy with the performance of the GTO? for the money and for the weight, it's quite impressive. anything that does 0-60 in the mid 4's for around 30 grand is impressive!

As for performance- like I said, "for a $30k car brand new with a warranty", it is pretty impressive. But considering I get walked almost daily by friends (the worst was a buddys Talon- he flat out destroyed me and second worse was a modified Turbo VW Golf on the highway- that was embarrassing lol) and from the modified vehicles of my past, it feels slow :). Almost every car I have owned has been modded and I have only bought 5 "performance" cars new- a 99 Z28, 01 Eclipse GT (if that is considered "performance") 03 Mustang GT convert., 03 Mazdaspeed Protege turbo and the 05 GTO. The Camaro and Eclipse were just daily drivers at the time as I had other built cars as play toys (mainly a 500+ hp talon :)). The Stang, I did headers and exhaust on. The Protege, I did full exhaust (custom as I was one of the first ones to mod that car), one of my boost controllers (www.joepmbc.com) and just a bunch of other "experimental" mods on since I was using it as a test bed for my parts. Out of all of them, the 99 Z28 was closest to the GTO stock- and the Protege with some mods was a close second- but it was mostly power to weight since that car did 263 to the wheels. So to sum up this novel- compared to "stock" cars I have had in the past, yes it is quick, but compared to my other cars and cars in our "group"- it is a dog. I am waiting on my Procharger to get here though, hopefully that helps :).
Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
kwiktsi said:
compared to cars in our "group"- it is a dog.
Cars in our group? What cars are you talking about? Because I haven't seen anything stock in the $30-$35,000 range that outperforms the GTO to where it feels like a dog... to me. Even with the few mods I have now I have easily beaten down other "slightly" modded cars. For example a 350Z with a supercharger attempted to run me on the freeway about a month ago. By the time I hit 120 he was no less than 3 car lengths behind. And the sad thing is that he jumped me. What a joke! I've also had cars (Vettes, Camaros) with similar mods as my goat and I know for sure that none were faster than the goat. Maybe if the goat wasn't so refined and comfortable, it would probably FEEL a little bit quicker too. Me personally, I think a sports car should have a little bit stiffer ride and more responsive steering than our goats have. But hey, it is what it is and I really can't complain. Once I get off my lazy butt and order my Maggie, I really won't complain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
guys..........i know why the goat FEELS slow. it is so damn heavy and like the other guy said, it is very refined compared to a typical american sportscar. it is deceptively fast. it doesn't feel as fast as my 03 mach 1, but it will **** all over it. it is much faster than it feels. trust me on this. it's just an illusion. when i first test drove it i felt the same way, but then i realized why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
6QTS- I was not comparing it to "stock" cars, but just cars in my little group of friends here. Most modded. I was just comparing it to cars in our group and cars I have owned and it is slow in comparison- not saying it is slow for stock, just a bit dissapointing to me for a 400 hp car- but the weight certainly isn't helping there!!! Everyone I speak with who drove one says the same thing "I don't know where they get 400 hp from, it certainly doesn't feel it, but it is a nice car to drive". Again, not saying it is slow by any means, just if you got to see how bad my friends talon destroyed it from a 60mph roll on (let's not even talk about out of the hole- it was ugly :) ), you would see what I meant. I have my Procharger on it's way if this order doesn't get screwed up too (let's just say I ordered a magnacharger over a month ago and never got it, so I cancelled it and switched to a procharger and still haven't heard back!!!). Hopefully with the procharger on it, it will run a bit more like I would like it to, but from speaking with others- it is still not all that impressive- more than likely due to the weight!! Most of my cars have all been in the low 11's-high 10's at upper 120's in full street trim, it will take a lot to get this car to run like that unfortunately :(.

ENJ- Oh yeah, it will destroy a Mach- been there :). Headers, exhaust and gears and it wasn't funny how hard the GTO pulled once it's fat ass got going!!! It feels slow since it doesn't have that bottom end Grunt- which is odd since it makes so much torque down low! My father in law drove it, came back and tossed me the keys "keep it, I hate it- it has no bottom end". Funny, my wifes Crossfire is "snappier" down low than this car!!
Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
kwiktsi said:
6QTS- I was not comparing it to "stock" cars, but just cars in my little group of friends here. Most modded. I was just comparing it to cars in our group and cars I have owned and it is slow in comparison- not saying it is slow for stock, just a bit dissapointing to me for a 400 hp car- but the weight certainly isn't helping there!!! Everyone I speak with who drove one says the same thing "I don't know where they get 400 hp from, it certainly doesn't feel it, but it is a nice car to drive". Again, not saying it is slow by any means, just if you got to see how bad my friends talon destroyed it from a 60mph roll on (let's not even talk about out of the hole- it was ugly :) ), you would see what I meant. I have my Procharger on it's way if this order doesn't get screwed up too (let's just say I ordered a magnacharger over a month ago and never got it, so I cancelled it and switched to a procharger and still haven't heard back!!!). Hopefully with the procharger on it, it will run a bit more like I would like it to, but from speaking with others- it is still not all that impressive- more than likely due to the weight!! Most of my cars have all been in the low 11's-high 10's at upper 120's in full street trim, it will take a lot to get this car to run like that unfortunately :(.

ENJ- Oh yeah, it will destroy a Mach- been there :). Headers, exhaust and gears and it wasn't funny how hard the GTO pulled once it's fat ass got going!!! It feels slow since it doesn't have that bottom end Grunt- which is odd since it makes so much torque down low! My father in law drove it, came back and tossed me the keys "keep it, I hate it- it has no bottom end". Funny, my wifes Crossfire is "snappier" down low than this car!!
Joe
If you're used to modded rides I can understand where you're coming from :cheers .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Yeah, but the Goat is very nice for "stock"- hence the reason I bought one- where else can you get 400 hp, smooth ride, decent handling and brakes and a decent back seat (not to mention the "oooh- it has BUCKETS in the back too! comments :)) for $30k? I do kick myself sometimes for not getting a Used C5 or C6, but we had my wifes Crossfire and my standard cab Ram 1500 hemi- so with basically two 2 seaters, the Vette wasn't a very practical choice. Just jealous when I see my friends worked vettes, they are SWEET rides!!!
Joe
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top