Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Detonation or "pinging" comes from insufficient octane or over-advanced timing, or overheating from various causes. Forget the lead, put some 93 octane or higher in it depending on compression. get some octane boost in a bottle at the parts store add that to the gas tank also.

check your timing, look under the distributor cap and make sure both springs are attached to the weights and check your base timing with a timing light. it may be way too advanced.

I like the Amsoil motor oil with Zinc additive called ZROD, the zinc helps the flat tappet camshaft by lightly coating it.

you did not say when this is happening or where, but could be a number of mechanical issues as well. but start with High octane gas, octane booster and timing, then move on from there.

good luck let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
180 Posts
2nd on the high octane fuel and check timing as your first things to try/check. Engine oil shouldn't cause pinging, but the zinc additive is needed for our older engines. Amzoil is a great choice. I run Redline in mine for the same reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts