Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my felpro gasket set.
I recognize most of them, but what are these for?
thanks as always

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
In the gasket set there are 3 different gaskets for the back of the oil pan to the rear main cap. Those two rubber ones in the picture and a square cork one that I like to use. I never have any luck getting the rubber gaskets to not leak. If you use the square cork gasket do not use the rubber one. I like to take the square cork gasket, trim it to fit and glue it on the rear main cap with Permatex high tack sealant. I also use the high tack to glue the pan rail side gaskets to the engine block. I then put RTV silicone gasket maker on the back side of the glued down gaskets and square cork. I then put the pan on and torque it down.

Once everything is torqued down I fill the void between the back of the pan and the rear main bearing. With my finger I try to push as much RTV sealant as possible to fill that void. Leave it sit for 24 hours. Then retorque the pan bolts again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rear of oil pan where it mates to the rear main bearing cap. Not sure why there is two, unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The earlier pans had only two tabs that pulled through and they always slipped and leaked. The later pans had 5 tabs and were a little better but I can never get them to not leak. I just like to use the square cork with out using the rubber.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
dimitri, as usual, is right on. The multi-tab rubber ones are for much later engines than the '67. The consensus for the best seal on ALL the Pontiac v8's is to use the flat cork seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts