Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grade on my driveway is maybe 8%. I noticed gasoline dripping from the rear of the car today. The tank is almost full. Never noticed this before. It was dripping down the inside of the right rear bumper. I checked the expansion tube and it was dry. The electric fuel pump is on the left side bolted to the frame rail. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ray

·
Premium Member
1972 Pontiac Lemans GTO
1,117 Posts
Possibly coming from the fuel neck, I know when full the will spill on hard acceleration. Kind of the A body trademark

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Agree with Pontrc, gas evaporates quickly and sometimes hard to see the spot. You might fill up again, Re-park it there, let the leak occur, then while the leak is fresh, drive it into a level garage or spot, and get under it and feel and look for where it is coming from.

Recommend new gas cap too if you don’t have one and always make sure it is tight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My two cents is a leaky gas cap. Had that once on my '65 LeMans. When the tank was near full, the fuel would drip from the cap into the bumper, run to the whichever side gravity took it and hit the cement at the corner of the car. It's a better bet the rubber in the cap gave up the ghost then the tank/neck sprung a leak.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can add that I recently have had both of these problems! Had the 68 GTO in the shop for other work, but was also smelling gas on a hard acceleration. The neck connection to the tank was leaky and they epoxied all around it. And secondly the gas cap had one of the lips not in place so it never sealed properly. Not great workmanship!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My two cents is a leaky gas cap. Had that once on my '65 LeMans. When the tank was near full, the fuel would drip from the cap into the bumper, run to the whichever side gravity took it and hit the cement at the corner of the car. It's a better bet the rubber in the cap gave up the ghost then the tank/neck sprung a leak.
thanks, i will take a closer, it looks like an original cap
I can add that I recently have had both of these problems! Had the 68 GTO in the shop for other work, but was also smelling gas on a hard acceleration. The neck connection to the tank was leaky and they epoxied all around it. And secondly the gas cap had one of the lips not in place so it never sealed properly. Not great workmanship!
Thanks, will take a look

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a leak and it was my rubber return line which had split. Only leaked when full and I hard accelerated. Not sure if a 69 is a reference for you though?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts