Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a nice gauge pod insert the other day on here. Goes into the middle of the dash where the plastic insert sits now. Where do you get one of these? What gauges are recommended for here? I was thinking Oil Temp and Fuel Pressure.

Seth

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have seen one GTO with this item,, you get them from PFYC.COM.. as far as what gages to put in there,, a word of ADVICE,, don't use a OIL or Water Gage,,Go with a VOLT and a Vacume gage, ,,with a OIL and Water gage you will have a hose coming into the instrument panel,, and if one of these sucker leaks ,, BIG TROUBLE
If you get an oil pressure gauge, get the electrical one, not mechanical which feeds the hose you mentioned to the gauge. The electric one has a sending unit mounted on the engine and just wires into the gauge. I helped a buddy install electric gauges in his 90 Camaro(replaced all the factory gauges). I can't recall where we tapped the sending unit into as that was over 10 years ago. If you use a mechanical oil pressure gauge, it's best to mount it outside, for example through the cowl vents.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've got the JHP gauges and love them to death. My only gripe is the plastic lens is super sensitive and scratches easily when cleaning. You gotta take some Maguires plastic scratch remover to it or just take them up to a frame shop and have two round pieces of glass cut out and double side tape them in the place the cheap plastic lens used to be. HOWEVER, I was under the impression they didn't work with the 04's. Just the 05's and the 06's with a build date no later then Jan. have the plug and play. The Feb.-May 06's (or whatever the last month was, I think it's May, not sure) need to buy a wiring harness kit from JHP for the guages to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do make these pods from genuine GM Holden parts for the LH drive GTOs and RH drive Holden cars and have sold them through ebay, they look and fit like they are factory made, they sell for around $400us plus shipping, if your interested let me know and I will send some photos of the binnical pod.

·
Registered
454 Posts
the quality and service of JHP has dropped to a new low and also the price is through the roof for $500 you get cheap plastic faces,bad quality paint,and poor customer service to boot...so you might want to give AJS a try

·
Registered
9 Posts
I only make these on the side from my original job,( takes about 1 week to make 1, after hours) beeing a car enthusiast I did buy one here (binnical pod and gauges) from a company in Melbourne and it was pricy and the quality was crap.
So I decided to make my own, there is more work in them than I thought and I make them as if I was fitting them to my car ( Im very fussy).
Anyone that has purchased a pod from me is very happy with the product. if you are not happy with my pod return it to me for a refund.
They do come with a wiring loom and instructions for the 05 06 GTOs, some GTOs have the loom taped to the radio wiries at the rear of the housing you could check first and save on the cost of the loom if its not required.
cheers Allan
PS i will be away for the weekend and will reply to any PMs in 3 days time

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I buy the pod and hook up the specific gauge connectors and roll?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts