Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started my 69 up for the first time and the generator light is staying on . The alternator is the original style that's been rebuilt. It's charging the battery at approximately 14 Volts. The external voltage regulator is a new solid state type from Ames. The engine and forward light harness's are from M+H and are new. Any suggestions? Thank you

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you use LEDs in your dash lighting? If so replace the GEN light with an incandescent bulb.
Could also be a bad diode in the Alternator

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no LED bulbs in the dash cluster. I've heard of the diode problem but rarely seen it. Very well could be the culprit here. Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just had a similar problem with my 65 GP. It turns out it was a problem with the new solid state regulator. When I went back to the old style regulator every thing is fine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help.i found the cause. It was my stupidity. There was an empty fuse slot that I couldn't read the label on. Turns out it's labeled gauges on the left, and trans something on the right. It takes a 10 amp fuse. It apparently controls some of the dash lamps and gauges in addition to the " Gen" lamp. Now all works properly. Live and learn. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts