Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Regarding the frame dimentions, attached are 2 pages from my chassis shop manual. Although it does not give dimensions for diagonals, it does give you points from where to measure. I assume that a 67 frame is very close or similar to a 66.
Font Rectangle Line Material property Parallel

Rectangle Black Font Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Regarding the frame dimentions, attached are 2 pages from my chassis shop manual. Although it does not give dimensions for diagonals, it does give you points from where to measure. I assume that a 67 frame is very close or similar to a 66.
View attachment 149849

View attachment 149851
Thanks for attaching these pics. I remember taking a drafting class in highschool (way back when) and they said for lines where they don't give a figure, it generally means there's enough info to do the math and calculate the missing figure. I'll have to dig into my memory banks for the trigonometry needed to figure out the "y" measurement. Then again the text in your attachment specifically says the figures aren't given. I'll have to give it another think when I'm back at the car again.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The diagonals are shown so that you can take the measurements and verify that they are equal. Meaning, both "X" dimensions are the same value as with the both the "Y"s and "Z"s. Equal dimensions in these areas proves squareness regardless of the actual diagonal values. Be careful applying Trig to the given dimensions. The dimensions shown in the top view might seem applicable to Pythagoras theorem or Trig functions, but realize that the reference points are NOT in the same plane which will throw the results off. This is likely a 3 dimensional problem. For example, try to stretch a string from spot to spot for the "X" dimension...you can't do it because the string will hit the outward and downward curve in the frame making it impossible to get a spot-to-spot measurement. I believe that all the dimensions given are in a single plane. This would mean you would have to project the spots downward to the floor and then take the measurements off the floor. The 3 dimensional aspect of the frame would be best suited for modeling in a 3D drafting software for accuracy's sake.

Without laying the frame out on a proven level and flat surface, checking a frame is not that straight forward. That's why frame straighteners get the money they do for their work and available equipment.

Down and dirty, you should be able to check (with your highly calibrated eye-crometers - in other words...by eye and tape measure) the dimensions that have values assigned to them and then pick some spots to check the diagonals for squareness (preferably along the same lines as "X, Y, & Z").

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The diagonals are shown so that you can take the measurements and verify that they are equal. Meaning, both "X" dimensions are the same value as with the both the "Y"s and "Z"s. Equal dimensions in these areas proves squareness regardless of the actual diagonal values. Be careful applying Trig to the given dimensions. The dimensions shown in the top view might seem applicable to Pythagoras theorem or Trig functions, but realize that the reference points are NOT in the same plane which will throw the results off. This is likely a 3 dimensional problem. For example, try to stretch a string from spot to spot for the "X" dimension...you can't do it because the string will hit the outward and downward curve in the frame making it impossible to get a spot-to-spot measurement. I believe that all the dimensions given are in a single plane. This would mean you would have to project the spots downward to the floor and then take the measurements off the floor. The 3 dimensional aspect of the frame would be best suited for modeling in a 3D drafting software for accuracy's sake.

Without laying the frame out on a proven level and flat surface, checking a frame is not that straight forward. That's why frame straighteners get the money they do for their work and available equipment.

Down and dirty, you should be able to check (with your highly calibrated eye-crometers - in other words...by eye and tape measure) the dimensions that have values assigned to them and then pick some spots to check the diagonals for squareness (preferably along the same lines as "X, Y, & Z").
This is super helpful and exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you ever get the PHS documents to see exactly what your car came with originally? Might not make a difference to you in the restoration, but it is definitely interesting to have that info.

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did you ever get the PHS documents to see exactly what your car came with originally? Might not make a difference to you in the restoration, but it is definitely interesting to have that info.
Yes. Here's what the previous owner sent me:
Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Handwriting

Rectangle Schematic Handwriting Font Parallel

Handwriting Font Material property Monochrome Rectangle

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
You did not get an "HO" car/engine. You have the 335HP base version. With those options, it was a daily driver (probably cheaper on insurance as well) and not purchased for the "performance" factor. BUT, you can change that. (y)
I've got some big plans! But not too big. I'd like to put in a Butler stroker kit to start.

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Getting the floor pan fitted, but it seems like the curves of the trans tunnel are a bit different between the two repro parts. Floor is AMD and toe boards are from Ames, which I assume are Dynacorn. My dad is planning to make some relief cuts in the floor to make it fit and weld in some patches. I'm having a tough time visualizing what he's planning but I'll see next week when I head up to help him.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Got a chance to head up and work on the car. I finally relented and bought the three-piece trunk. I'd been holding out for a 1-piece, but after calling around, it sounded like there wasn't going to be anything in stock until this summer.

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

Getting the quarters ready for repair, but we're running into the weirdest thing: The replacement panels don't round out like the original metal does. It almost drops straight down in a flat line (didn't get pictures of it). We're trying to figure out what the issue is. We might have to roll the refab metal to match the original body lines.

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hood Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Car
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

We noticed there's a bit of bowing in the metal under the trunk lock. Is this the way it was from the factory? Or is my car just a little bit special? We're fabbing some metal to replace the rot, but don't want to make it wrong. Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

This piece doesn't quite line up either. We're trying to figure it out, but thinking the wheel well is missing some metal...

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Wood Automotive exterior Line Beam Fixture
Wood Beam Composite material Tints and shades Gas

The package tray looks like it might salvageable. I really don't want to have to replace it...

·
Registered
1967 GTO
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood

Here's a picture of how I squeezed the frame a bit to get the G Force crossmember in. Per Jim's recommendation, I'll probably make some mounts that fit the frame as is.

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
591 Posts

·
Registered
1967 400/400
2,127 Posts
You did not get an "HO" car/engine. You have the 335HP base version. With those options, it was a daily driver (probably cheaper on insurance as well) and not purchased for the "performance" factor. BUT, you can change that. (y)
Lol. Compared to my build sheet, his looks like a salt-flats record breaker.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts