Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will make it short...I was on the phone with a friend, she was at the local Dodge dealer and in the process of signing all the paper work for her new truck...she got an 05 Quad Cab with a HEMI (345 HP). She told the sales person that i just bought a new car, he asked what kind...i had to reminder her that i bought an 05 GTO. I heard her tell the salesman "2005 GTO." This space cadet told her "ya, thats got a HEMI too." and that "we should race sometime."
Lets just say that remark was so stupid i told her congrats and ended the conversation. It was not her fault, but it goes to show that some (not all) sales man at my local dealerships are complete retards that dont know about the product they sell, or their compition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 8 year old nephew knows more about cars than the typical car salesman.

Thats why I hate buying a new car. I know so much more about the car I'm buying than the person selling it to me that it makes me angry sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had a similar issue when I was doing some comparison shopping between the '04 GTO and '05 Mustang back in December.

The idiot sales guy at the Ford dealer stated, "There is no comparison between those cars. That GTO only has a six cylinder." I had to explain to him that the GTO had an LS1 motor (he didn't know what that meant either, had to explain it was basically a 'vette motor), that the GTO had 50 more horses than the Mustang (which he argued with me about), and that the interior was much nicer and a lot less cluttered than the Mustang (which he again denied).

Since I like the exterior styling of the Mustang I asked if I could test drive one of the '05 GT's. This tool teels me that "We don't allow test drives of the Mustang GT. If we did, every 18 yr old for miles would be in here asking for one." I calmly explained to him that I had just test driven the GTO (which retails for almost 10K more than the Mustang), that I was not 18 (I'm 31), that I could damn well afford to buy the car, and that if he thought I was going to pay him 25K+ for a car I couldn't drive ahead of time he was off his rocker. He counterd with, "I bought my '04 Mustang GT sight unseen with no test drive. This Mustang is the nicest, best performing sport coupe for under 50K". I told him that he was a fool for buying a car without driving it and that if he thought the Mustang was nicer and faster than the other sport coupes for under 50K that he needed to find another line of work. The '04 Corvette, several BMW's, and Porshe Boxter can all be had for under 50K.

Needless to say, I ended up buying the GTO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday GM callled me to ask me questions about my new purchase. They were basic, "how do you like it", "would you change anything" and so on. I just told them three thinds that i would change...i mentioned that there are no options, not even the GM basics, XM Radio and On-Star. I also told her that the sales people at the dealership knew jack about the car...I know that there are some folks on this site that work at a dealership, like GTODEALER, well he knows his $hit and he knows these car and thats what i want to see at our local dealships. Last i asked why GM did not advertise this car more. In a way i did not want that to change because i like being one of very few in the S.F. Bayarea. But it still is sad that when GM has this awesome vehicle that can out perform the majority of the coupes on the road bone stock, they let it die...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Norcal9 said:
Yeah I have to agree. It is great being the only one around and everyone looking to see where that rumble is coming from. But lately I have been seeing more and more, maybe cause I am driving more...

Still haven't seen an 04 or 05 since I bought mine (two weeks)

I have seen a couple of Ferrari's, a Lamborghini, and 2 Vipers.

A couple of people have asked how I could go from a car with so much power (C5 Z06) to a sporty economy type car. They understand with gas prices and all, but don't I miss the power.
Standard reply is, well lets go for a ride. Get's em everytime.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Norcal9 said:
Yeah I have to agree. It is great being the only one around and everyone looking to see where that rumble is coming from. But lately I have been seeing more and more, maybe cause I am driving more...
Have not seen any around here until the other day. There were 2 others plus mine gettung gas. It was pretty cool nice guys also.

·
Registered
386 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Still haven't seen an 04 or 05 since I bought mine (two weeks)

I have seen a couple of Ferrari's, a Lamborghini, and 2 Vipers.

A couple of people have asked how I could go from a car with so much power (C5 Z06) to a sporty economy type car. They understand with gas prices and all, but don't I miss the power.
Standard reply is, well lets go for a ride. Get's em everytime.
Economy?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Norcal9 said:

Im from the Bay Area also, i have an 05, you might of seen me. I drive Hwy's 24, 680 and 80 often. Live in Walnut Creek and moving to Pleasanton.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought my 04 in November. I've seen only 2 GTO's. Both were 04's. 1 I've seen twice on rt. 128 and the other I saw only once in Danvers on Endicott street about 3 or 4 months ago.

It is kind of cool being "one of the few, the proud" driving. But, :agree , it's somewhat sad to not more publicity on the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fastball said:
My 8 year old nephew knows more about cars than the typical car salesman.

Thats why I hate buying a new car. I know so much more about the car I'm buying than the person selling it to me that it makes me angry sometimes.
I totally agree; I feel the same way when I have to occasionally take my car into the dealership for service- I keep thinking- "I should have your job"......!!

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.