Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i am new here and definitly thinking about getting a yellow '06 GTO. But i have some questions and i need your opinions. What all options are available, both performance and appereance that people are getting? Is there like a sports appearence package or anything like that? Also, like i said, i want an '06 but i want it cheaper than $29,000. When would be the best(cheapest) time to get one and still be able to get all of the options i would want? Thanks everyone, sorry for the long post. I am just really excited and need your input!:cool

·
Registered
41 Posts
it wont happen, cheapest you'll get an 06 is about 31 and change, and thats from a really nice dealer, thats with the upgraded wheels, thats about all there is for options other than the sport apperance package which brings the tag up another cuple gz. I just bought mine a week ago, in the same boat as you, i had to settle for a used 05 for 26,900.

·
Registered
41 Posts
plus i got 100,000 mile warranty which covers 95% of the car which was another 1800 which put me pretty close to the 29000 mark your looking for, if you go used there will most likely only be a year left on warranty 3 yr/ 36000 is factory, even if its new you probably still want to think about extending that if you plan to keep the car for more than 3 years

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then i don't need yellow, i'll just go with red or silver. But i definetly want the '06 because i just like it the best. Has a great motor and a few more options than the '05! Wouldn't you think there would be some time when they would be at their cheapest? Like when GM is trying to get rid of them for the new '07 and '08 cars?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
GOGOGTO! said:
Well then i don't need yellow, i'll just go with red or silver. But i definetly want the '06 because i just like it the best. Has a great motor and a few more options than the '05! Wouldn't you think there would be some time when they would be at their cheapest? Like when GM is trying to get rid of them for the new '07 and '08 cars?
I personally don't think the few differences between the '05 and '06 are worth the price difference, but to each their own.

That said, the best time is end of year on these cars, during the winter, in cold climates. Bought mine (05) for $26K in January at a NY dealer.

The 26K offer, or better, can be had elsewhere now on '05's. For $5K you can reduce your payment, buy the black tail lights and the window switch, and still have $4.5K left over.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
GOGOGTO! said:
So there are truely no differences between the '05 and the '06? If any what are they? I mean do they both have the LS2 motor and tranny and the same look?
Motor difference is between '04 and '05.

Only new features for '06 are:

Backlit radio controls on steering wheel
Separate lock button for doors ('05 uses the standard lock mechanism on the doors as a switch as well)
Black tail lights.

The latter 2 can be had for less than $500- - -that was my point from an earlier post. If the backlit radio buttons are worth $4500 to you, then I say go for it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
noz34me said:
Only new features for '06 are:

Backlit radio controls on steering wheel
Separate lock button for doors ('05 uses the standard lock mechanism on the doors as a switch as well)
Black tail lights.

The latter 2 can be had for less than $500- - -that was my point from an earlier post. If the backlit radio buttons are worth $4500 to you, then I say go for it.
Actually there were two more differences... The seat motors are 2x faster in the 2006. Additionally, the colors Brazen Orange and Spice Red are only available on the '06s.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Starrbuck said:
Actually there were two more differences... The seat motors are 2x faster in the 2006. Additionally, the colors Brazen Orange and Spice Red are only available on the '06s.
Posts here and other forums have said little change in seat movement speed.

In any case 2 x nearly 0 is stil, nearly 0.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well then i guess a yellow '05 sounds great to me. As long as the differences aren't anything important, i can live with a year difference. Do the '05 still have dual eshaust? I will definetly be going with the M6 as well. Thanks guys for all of the info, i look forward to talking after i have a GTO for myself. They truely are an amazing car in my opinion!:cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought my 05 instead of an 06, I love it, the door lock button doesnt bother me at all because when you push the door lock button up or down on your door, it does the same thing to the other door in the car, so there either both locked or both unlocked.
The only thing that bothers me is it looks like theres a button next to t/c and theres no button, were on 06 it looks the same but you can actualy press that button.

As Far as the 06 taillights, way better depending on the color of the car,
I was gonna buy impulse blue, and the red tailights looked horrible compaired to the 06 impulse blue. Yet I went with Cyclone Grey and the red actualy blends real nice, but im still gonna go look at an 06 Cyclone grey with the black taillights and maybe purchase a set cuz there def sicker.

05s do have the same exhaust/rear end as the 06s

Other than that, same car... other than the fact that 05s are used

Id look into if the 06s had the pedal sensor problem fixed, im not sure.
But since i bought my 05, it goes in and out of this "safety mode" and it seems to be a common problem in 05's with the pedal sensor some say after replacing it never happend again others say it had to be replaced multiple times.
I still have to bring mine to the dealer to have it looked at but i dont wanna stop driving my car for a cuple days yet :D Usualy it lasts for like, 1-5 startups then goes away, car runs normal until it happens again 10-20 startups later.

·
Registered
455 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that 05s are limited, and the 05s that are left are mostly automatics (or at least that was the case in eastern TX). I was looking at 05s and 06s when I bought mine in March, but I think I only found a single M6 05 left over, and it was black, which I didn't want because I tend to get a lot of dust on my car, which shows up horridly on black.

Finding a yellow 05 with an M6 that is still brand new is going to be a difficult chore. I'd recommend picking like your top 3 or so favorite colors, and looking that way.

Also, it is going to be a crapshoot about waiting until the end of year. As the GTO is not made after 06, it is doubtful there will be so much end of year depreciation on them, as is the case when the same model continues the following year. Also, since the GTO orders are all completed, there may not be many, if any, available at EOY. Kind of a toss of the dice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.