Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seemed to be getting stopped just about everytime I go to a public parking lot in Los Angeles. I guess the city of angels has never seen the return of the muscle car. Does anybody else have people asking about the car all the time? I think that it is great. But in a city full of over priced BMW's and such, I guess know would expect a great american muscle car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know about LA, but I live in Pittsburgh and people stop me all the time to talk about the car, especially at gas stations. It's very surprising how many people don't know that the car has a V8 in it, let alone a 5.7 litre! I invariably have to pop the hood to "prove" it, as if the sound of the beast isn't enough. :)

I also took it to the local car wash once, it's a good one where they have about a team of guys finely detailing everything by hand. They were so excited to wash my car, they took all kinds of extra care and time with it and you couldn't get the smiles off their faces. Then they literally stopped working on the next car (a Mercedes) while they gathered around to talk about my car as it was the first GTO that had been to the car wash. The Mercedes owner didn't mind, though...he was in on the conversation, he loved it too!

I've only heard one negative so far, one day my wife and I were getting ice cream and a teenage kid and his dad were behind me talking about the car (they didn't know it was mine). The dad was going crazy over it and the son was talking very smug about how it's "just a rebadged Grand Am". I could have turned around and said something, but instead I did it the correct way...with a beautiful cloud of rubbery smoke on the way out. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, despite what I think is an uncanny resemblence to a Dodge Stratus (yuck!) the car gets TONs of attention. I love the car, get a kick out of the attention it gets, but must admit I don't really understand it.

Again - I love my GTO, but the styling is just not that unique, so what is it that makes it stand out so much?????

---Larry

·
Registered
162 Posts
rollins215 said:
I don't know about LA, but I live in Pittsburgh and people stop me all the time to talk about the car, especially at gas stations. It's very surprising how many people don't know that the car has a V8 in it, let alone a 5.7 litre! I invariably have to pop the hood to "prove" it, as if the sound of the beast isn't enough. :)

I also took it to the local car wash once, it's a good one where they have about a team of guys finely detailing everything by hand. They were so excited to wash my car, they took all kinds of extra care and time with it and you couldn't get the smiles off their faces. Then they literally stopped working on the next car (a Mercedes) while they gathered around to talk about my car as it was the first GTO that had been to the car wash. The Mercedes owner didn't mind, though...he was in on the conversation, he loved it too!

I've only heard one negative so far, one day my wife and I were getting ice cream and a teenage kid and his dad were behind me talking about the car (they didn't know it was mine). The dad was going crazy over it and the son was talking very smug about how it's "just a rebadged Grand Am". I could have turned around and said something, but instead I did it the correct way...with a beautiful cloud of rubbery smoke on the way out. :D
Same here def at gas stations but all over I get questions. In fact a few weeks ago a cop pulled me over just to look at the car. In NJ there are not many on the road. In fact i think i have seen prob 5 total on the road in a year. But it is really a convo piece everywhere I go. I do like the attention I can not lie.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't take mine out too often, mainly on the weekends but everytime that I do someone always has something to say about it. A lot of times they say something about it and they don't even know that it is mine but I hear them say it. Nothing negative so far. I think people really like it because you don't see one everytime you turn the corner. I have noticed that they really like it when they hear it. I must admit that I like the attention too.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
In the Bakersfield / High Desert areas, my GTO gets looks constantly. Maybe it's the color.

It's funny. Kids gape and point. Chicks look and smile. Guys try to act like they're not looking ('cause it's not cool to recognize that someone has a tricker car than they have)...but look anyway. All over, people who stop next to me roll down their windows and ask "WTF izzat?"

It's definitely not a low-profile car. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I get constant looks from my car and commits. I here everything to the yellow reeally makes the car look nice to what is it. I lot of people don't even know what it is and when i say a GTO the response it the same "didn't know they made those still". The one commit i hate is when people ask if i have a V6. That is when i smile and say nope. I know one thing from the reactions that i get alot of people don't even know they are on the roads. GM really dropped the ball on the marketing end. Not many ads for the car unless you read car mags.

I do know one thing on my daily trip from springfield to hartford i turn alot of heads.

·
Registered
212 Posts
oh I've heard it all with my car. Ofcourse you have the haters out there "I heard those are too heavy to be fast" or "eh, looks like a stretched out sunfire."

I've heard the V6 thing, and almost everyone asks if it is front wheel drive!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love taken my car anywhere. I was sitting inside Carl's jr. last week and I had one employee and two customers outside checking out the car. IT is great to draw that kind of attention from a car

·
Registered
162 Posts
The V6 thing i have been asked alot i love when someone pulls next to me and asks about it..... I kid in a honda civic tried to race me last week and i pulled away from him. When we got to the next stop light he pulled his window down and tried to act like he knew about the GTO. He said thats w v8 rite....i said yes...hey atleast he got that down.....Then he goes on and says whats that pussin 275HP....My response.... Ummm No Try 350...Hes like oh Sh^&% really.....but i love the attention....And most of it has been good i just cant stand when people are haters....Like when i was getting my windows tinted and they were pullin it out after it was done. Some guy said oh thats the new GTO doesnt sound like much.......Mind u the car was idle....I said oh yea get it on the road and u will hear it....He then went into the whole its not a real GTO ordeal....I stopped the convo by saying...Well sir its no KIA like u have but it get me from Point A to B......He was dumbfounded....Ah there are some people out there who just cant be nice but i dont care...I love this car and love the attention and Convos that come w it. And like someone had said the fact that there are not many on the road is nice too!!! Peace

·
Registered
265 Posts
lambertgoat said:
no but a girl flashed me her breasts for a ride......
No ****? You did stop, right?

I'm a HAPPILY married guy and would probably faint and crash if that happened! ;)

---Larry

·
Registered
185 Posts
LarryM said:
No ****? You did stop, right?

I'm a HAPPILY married guy and would probably faint and crash if that happened! ;)

---Larry
Actually i was already stopped, see i live in lafayette indiana, Home of the Purdue boilers.....i was up on campus, some drunk college chick did it, and hell no i didn't let her go for a ride, i was afraid she'd puke, i would never hit a girl, but if i took her for a spin and she puked, i'd kill her

·
Registered
265 Posts
lambertgoat said:
Actually i was already stopped, see i live in lafayette indiana, Home of the Purdue boilers.....i was up on campus, some drunk college chick did it, and hell no i didn't let her go for a ride, i was afraid she'd puke, i would never hit a girl, but if i took her for a spin and she puked, i'd kill her
What a dilema! Understand the puking part, but... I dunno, I'd have to think about that for a while... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
265 Posts
lambertgoat said:
yeah i understand, my buddies thought i was nuts, but seriously, the boobs were nice, but her face.....well that's another story
Ya know... I thought that might be the actual problem.

I was stationed at Grissom AFB (about 70m north of Indianapolis) and an expression that was occasionally used for the local's was: Indiana Sweat Hog.

On the other hand... that's why they make paper bags you know. :cool

---Larry

·
Registered
185 Posts
LarryM said:
Ya know... I thought that might be the actual problem.

I was stationed at Grissom AFB (about 70m north of Indianapolis) and an expression that was occasionally used for the local's was: Indiana Sweat Hog.

On the other hand... that's why they make paper bags you know. :cool

---Larry
Yeah, but on the other hand, you have to hear the bag crinkle when she moves or beaths, i prefer to place an american flag over their face and F**K for glory

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've gotten so many more comments about this car than anything else I've driven. I think everyone at worked has asked me 100 questions about it. Typically, everyone is suprised that is has 350 hp and is rear wheel drive. I guess the general public has lost all confidence in GM making a RWD car with real HP. For how people bitch about it being plain looking, I sure get enough attention. Goes back to the day when the engine mattered more than a 3 foot wing.

A

·
0 Posts
Everywhere I go I have people ask me about my GTO. Mostly younger guys who are into cars. Most other people not in touch with the car scene don't even notice it until they hear it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts