Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1968 GTO that I am getting ready to go to paint. I am taking off all the trim and moldings, etc, etc. I wanted to know about the front fender emblems. Can I take off the inner fender wells without taking the hood off to get to the bolts on the emblems? I am worried that there will not be enough support for the hood but thought I would check to see you folks think first.

Thank you,
Joe

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't think you can get the liners out from the inside even with the hood off.

Try taking out all the liner bolts, back off on the 2 lower fender bolts at rocker so you can pull bottom of fender out far enough to get to the speed nuts on the emblem. You might have to loosen up the fender bolts to pillar and cowl to let the fender pivot enough to get your arm back there.
Before you do anything check and see if maybe some one at one time installed barrel nuts on the emblem studs. Barrel nuts made for easy removal and install back in the day.

Bill

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
put all mine back on with teflon barrel nuts and a dab of silicone to seal the holes, rusted speed nuts are a pain even if you can get a wrench on them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
getting ready for paint

The emblems do look to be newer so maybe the hard part was already done. I will see if they will pry off. If not sounds like I have a fun time. Also, I do know the fender well does need to come off a least enough to get to the antenna mount on the fender. Does the hood need to come off or am I safe leaving it on?

Joe

·
Registered
310 Posts
You should be able to drop the antenna down with out doing anything with the hood.....if it's like the one on my sons 68 ?
To help keep it inside the fender where you want it for easy access to reinstall, cable tie the top of mask to the upper hinge.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts