Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rented a garage to store my 68 for the Winter. I live on the East Coast so winter will be approaching fast. Last years Polar Vortex was brutal. What are some Tips for storing her away. Unfortunatley it is an unheated garage. But at least its leak free and dry. Just looking to hear what most people do if anything other the putting it in the garage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
winter storage

I have been storing cars for many years, my main concern was rodents. If you just rented this space you may or may not know if the area is subject to the 4 legged wonders. I have found over the past number of years that most of the stuff posted on line; Bounce sheets, pine needles etc just do not work consistently. I found that John Deere Dealers sell a rodent repellant that farmers use in tractor cabs etc for use during storage. Just a dry mix of different types of wood shavings, maybe some spices packaged (not sure of contents) in small cheesecloth type bags. I have been told that rodents do not like a 'clean smell' and the John Deere material has a very pleasant odor. I have used this repellant for the past number of years. Cars that were parked next to mine in storage had 'visitors' but my vehicles stayed rodent free. Make sure there are no food sources left in your car, candy chips etc. that may have fallen under seats or trunk. Just my .02

·
Registered
161 Posts
I tend to change the oil, remove the battery from the car....store it inside my dry basement, clean the car as above, jack it up and put jack stands under the control arms and rear axle to keep suspension loaded and prevent flat spotting the tires. I also put socks over the tailpipes to keep the varmints out of the exhaust. I also cover the car with a quality cover....and hold a séance until spring lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is this Winter you speak of? Northern Calif goes from drought season to occasionally foggy in the morning season.

don't forget to top off your tank and put a good fuel stabilizer in it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The only things I do for mine is fill with fuel and stabilize and bi weekly put a trickle charger on the battery. I Also live in the north east (RI), but if there is a nice few days and the salt is off the roads, I will drive mine year round.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts