Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's an expert on frames???? As I look across GM A body frames, what is interchangeable with a GTO frame? Is a '68 interchangeable with a '67? What's the difference between a Pontiac A-body frame, an Olds A-body frame? Will an El camino frame work? It appears that the '64-'67 frames are the same. Then the '68-? are interchangeable? There has to be a web page that tells me what I can get that will work.

I've been all over the 'net and there's some real stories......

Shooter

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Who's an expert on frames???? As I look across GM A body frames, what is interchangeable with a GTO frame? Is a '68 interchangeable with a '67? What's the difference between a Pontiac A-body frame, an Olds A-body frame? Will an El camino frame work? It appears that the '64-'67 frames are the same. Then the '68-? are interchangeable? There has to be a web page that tells me what I can get that will work.

I've been all over the 'net and there's some real stories......

Shooter

This has been brought up in the past. You might do a "Google Custom Search" in the upper right hand corner to pull up some past converstions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
so would a 66 convertible frame only be correct for a 66 or will it fit other years? also are they hard to find in good shape and what should I expect to pay for a nice rust free boxed frame?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yes, it appears to be a very good deal. Looks solid. My questions would have to be why it is being sold? Being a convertible, the car body may have rotted away as happens when left outside to deteriorate in the elements.

Check to make sure no damage/hits, but looks good. If it checks out, I would jump on it tomorrow so it did not get away at that price, then do the prep on it. :yesnod:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, it appears to be a very good deal. Looks solid. My questions would have to be why it is being sold? Being a convertible, the car body may have rotted away as happens when left outside to deteriorate in the elements.

Check to make sure no damage/hits, but looks good. If it checks out, I would jump on it tomorrow so it did not get away at that price, then do the prep on it. :yesnod:

The car was rusty in trunk and floors due to leaking front and rear window seals. besides rusting the pans it also heavily pitted all the pot metal interior trim. car had also been hit in rear bad enough to need tail panel and deemed not worthy of repair. current owner bought it for the drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Remember when changing the frame, technically you change how the car should be titled and it will hurt the value of the car. If you are dealing with a restoration, you may want to consider repairing the original frame. (Big issue with aftermarket frames....)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Remember when changing the frame, technically you change how the car should be titled and it will hurt the value of the car. If you are dealing with a restoration, you may want to consider repairing the original frame. (Big issue with aftermarket frames....)
in my state it's the body with the V.I.N tag that is reflected on the title. moving the V.I.N tag from one body to another is a federal and state crime. swapping frames is legal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts