Pontiac GTO Forum banner

GM Buypower error. Beware!

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  GoatHerder 
#1 ·
I was running numbers on GM Buypower using their calculators. I kept getting figures that seemed too good to be true. They were too good to be true.

The site asks for your zip code but doesn't calculate tax. Usually a trade in reduces the amount of sales tax you pay, but rebates are subject to sales tax. The site asks for all that information then calculates a figure without tax.

This was in the smartbuy column. If you want to figure out your payment add the tax to the cost of the vehicle then plug in the other numbers.
:cheers

#2 ·
Tom said:
I was running numbers on GM Buypower using their calculators. I kept getting figures that seemed too good to be true. They were too good to be true.

The site asks for your zip code but doesn't calculate tax. Usually a trade in reduces the amount of sales tax you pay, but rebates are subject to sales tax. The site asks for all that information then calculates a figure without tax.

This was in the smartbuy column. If you want to figure out your payment add the tax to the cost of the vehicle then plug in the other numbers.
:cheers
There is a disclaimer that says, "tax, title, and license extra".
All auto manufacturers payment calculators work this way.

#4 ·
Tom said:
It is nice that they put that disclaimer there in four point type. The way they asked questions, and the fact that it mentioned my county led me to believe they were taking sales tax into consideration.
You're giving (anyone) whos trying to sell you something too much credit. They do that to get what they want. They WANT to get you in the dealership.

But honestly, it has been my experience that whatever you come up with on the payment calculator they can usually come close if not beat it.

My 2000 BMW 328Ci, the dealer beat it.
My 2001 Infiniti Qx4, the dealer matched it.
My 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6, the dealer came close.
My 2005 Ford Escape, the dealer matched it.
My 2004 GTO, the dealer came damn close even with my $7000 in negative equity from the Tiburon (which I didn't figure in on the payment calculator).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.