Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey everybody. i was just wondering what everybody thought of gm's quality and reliability for those of you who do or have owned other gm products besides the gto. i've owned nothing but except for the 2000 passat i had before the gto. my gm products have been exceptional. it included an 88 celebrity, 91 grand am, 97 jimmy 4x4 (160,000 when i traded it, but it did need a new tranny at 100,000), 98 bonneville (wonderful car, not just reliable but solid and comfy. 98,000 when it got totalled), and my 91 gmc sierra that i still have. 125,000 and going strong. i can't help but think the tranny is gonna go soon. i pull a trailer with it a lot. anyway, i seriously can't complain about bad american cars. maybe ford and chrysler are worse. i think chryslers probably are. when i lived in utah, the bishop of my church also owned the pontiac, cadillac, gmc dealer in provo. i asked him how the cars are doing now and he said gm is building the best cars they've ever built. he said over the last 4 years, warranty work in their shop has gone down 50%. he said it's good for the customer but bad for business. their shop is a lot slower. and check out the fit and finish on the recently introduced products. the buick lacross has lexus like body gaps, tighter than the gto by quite a bit, especially on the trunk. the G6, cobalt, malibu, all the same. i think gm is doing a great job, even better than before. what do you all think? how reliable have your gm vehicles been? sorry if this is a bit long.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I must admit, the long awaited GM turnaround may be here.

The GTO has needed no adjustments or repairs in the first six weeks and 3,300 miles of ownership. The gas mileage is right in line with the EPA ratings. The ergonomics are wearing on me very well. The car doesn't do anything to annoy.

Our second car is a 2002 GMC Yukon Denali. It's almost three years old and likewise it's been almost flawless. We had one repair under warranty. After only about a month of ownership, the front differential started whining. GM replaced the differential and we haven't had any other repairs in 45,000 miles. The Denali, like the GTO is comfortable, quiet, and has a great powertrain. The engine is another variant of the GM small block V8, also 6.0L. The transmission is the 4L65E automatic that comes with the GTO. The truck, like the GTO gets the mileage advertised on the window sticker about 14 city and 18 highway. Not bad for a 5,600 Lb truck. The interior of the Denali is well done and everything is in good shape after 3 years with 2 kids pounding on the leather.

It's worth noting that prior to this I've owned European cars and appreciated the the extra effort of the dealers to make the customer feel like their business is valued. I must say that both GM dealers where I shopped and bought seem to have adopted the customer service attitude of the snob brands. They have been as good an experience as the cars themselves.

It's hard to believe I own two GM products and they're Pontiac/GMC. On the plus side I only have to deal with a single dealership now. But, I never expected to own any GM product, much less two at once.

I must confess that I have a bias against domestic auto companies. On the other hand, GM got me to part with about $80,000 in cash for two vehicles and no other company did. Either I'm an idiot or GM is building some good product these days. At any rate, no regrets on either purchase so far.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i am about to trade our 01 aurora in. after about 30 days at the dealer over three years for relatively minor stuff and stuff that could have killed us while the dealer and gm customer disservice jerked us around i had the last straw last night.

the light in back of the speedo went out and if i tap the dash comes back on. not a big deal except for the fact that the bumper to bumper expired last month, and the extended gm protection plan doesnt cover light bulbs. of course the dealer has been as useful as a screen door in a submarine. we looked at a pacifica and a grand cherokee last night. we may lease a envoy if my friend that works for gm can get me an employee discount.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I have had a lot of GM cars aver the past 20 years, some Fords, some Chryslers a Honda, 2 Acuras, and a Nissan. GM is about where the Japanese were 10 years ago. That said I think the Japanese have either lost ground or are not improving. I've heard of a lot of Acura's having problems with transmissions, Honda's with power windows and Audi's and Mercedes with electrical systems. Toyota's have the 3.0 V6 that sludges up and fails. The a/c in my 02 Nissan Sentra was not strong enough to cool the car on an 85 degree day and it was like that in two rentals also. Dealer said that it was normal operation for a/c to only provide 18-20 degree drop at that vent.I think every car manufacturer has some type of problem with their cars.

I have owned a 2001 Z28, at 7k traded on an 02 Z28. (long story that nets out to dealer 1000 bonus Camaro rebate 650 GM card, good trade in, good discount on 02' and 0% financing= same car payment for 1 yr less time ) 30k+ on 02 Z28 with 150+ trips down the drag strip. 2004 Cavalier that I put 17k on. No rattles, and no trips back to the dealer for any waranty work. I tend to trade fairly regularly and don't have issues. But the fit and finish is definately way better than 10-15 yrs ago.

GM's big issue now is coming up with products that people with money want to buy. Lets face it, the Cavalier was a good reliable CHEAP car. The only reason i bought one was because it was cheap. I found out after a few weeks of driving that it had a great engine and good 5 spd, but that setup was new in 03. The previous powertrain was a good part of the reason why the car was cheap. The G6 seems to be of decent build quality, but the powertrain choices are anemic. The Solstice is cool but needs more power. GM has allowed their trucks to fall behind the pack and now has to rebate them to move them.

If they would not have had the GTO, they would not have sold me a car this time. This should say a lot considering that I am a loyal GM guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.