2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down 24% from September of last year.

GTO Sales:

9/04 2668
9/05 994 (62.9%)

04 YTD 8229
05 YTD 9413 14.4%

Please note that these are deliveries to dealers.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The deals, for the most part, were equal to or better this year than last. GTOs were selling for $5K under sticker out here last week. That was not the case this time last year.

Overall, GM's sales crapped out because it's kind of hard to sell 12 MPG City SUVs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And whats really funny is...I have been buying Toyotas, 26 of them since 1984 for me and the wife. But for hot rods and fun cars just good ole Detroit muscle. Now why so many Toyotas? Very simple, I never loose money because I pay $50.00 over the REAL dealer price. I lease and drive a new car every 1-2 years. Right now I have 80K for two Toys at a $398 per month payment. GM could never do that for me until they started sucking air and I bought a new 05 Goat 29k out the door tax lic, extendo warranty, etc. Oh by the way I bought it from my Toyata dealer. You laf, well GM and Toy merged back in the mis 80's to build the Nummi plant in Fremont Cali. and have done several joint ventures out of that plant. Then 2 years ago sold out to Toyota as they saw the writin on da wall. If GM don't pull their head out they going to wind up being bought out by Toyota who builds more cars a year in the USA than GM. I am lucky to be in the business and been told form high levels that these talks have taken place for some time now.
So why can't GM build without problems, without having to GIVE the cars and trucks away with special deals and most of all why can't they build something that you won't loose your ass on. Just something to ponder...I really do love my Goat, 69 Z-28 and 71 LT-1 Vette. Thanks guys :confused

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
MarineGTO said:
Does anyone know how many '04s and '05 exist? My dealer said they only made 18,000 '04s?
15,728, 2004's
less than 15,000 2005's,

18,000 was Bob Lutz's goal and the maximum number of GTO's that could have been imported per year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
05GTO said:
15,728, 2004's
less than 15,000 2005's,

18,000 was Bob Lutz's goal and the maximum number of GTO's that could have been imported per year.
9413 2005 delivered to dealers is quite a desparity from the less then 15000 2005's you quote. :willy:
So what is the real number and how does one find out?
BTW I just took delivery of one of the 9413 that was delivered to the dealer.
Cyclone Gray A4. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Firstgoat said:
9413 2005 delivered to dealers is quite a desparity from the less then 15000 2005's you quote. :willy:
So what is the real number and how does one find out?
BTW I just took delivery of one of the 9413 that was delivered to the dealer.
Cyclone Gray A4. ;)
My mistake, I should have said less than 12,000, then subtract the few lost in the train accident. I'm sure several hundred are on the docks and in transportation.

It may be another month or two before the actual "delivered" number is available.

Here is a news article posted last year regarding cutting from 18k (2004) to 12k (2005),

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=593

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
05GTO said:
My mistake, I should have said less than 12,000, then subtract the few lost in the train accident. I'm sure several hundred are on the docks and in transportation.

It may be another month or two before the actual "delivered" number is available.

Here is a news article posted last year regarding cutting from 18k (2004) to 12k (2005),

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=593

I'm going to bet that there were a few in the gulf coast area that were destroyed as well as the train wreck. I think the total from the train wreck was somewhere between 300-350 cars.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Real reason GM sales fall off a cliff?

Why would anyone expect to pay invoice + pricing when for the last 3 months we knew the "true" sales price of all vehicles. What an enegizer that must have been for their bottom line, not to mention a tremendous drop in administrative fees as there was no negotiations at the dealership - you walked in and knew exactly what you were going to pay, period. My opinion, and I know it means nothing, but GM made a big mistake in turning this plan over.

Also, why would corporate give a damn if the employee's are pissed about losing their worker discount, it's these very same bloodsuckers that expect $25/hour in pay and an additional $25/hour in benefits to stamp a f-cking fender. Can't wait until December when they decide they need something again to help their bottom line - it will be at that point I trade the silver Goat in for a Denali and give my wife mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
re

one of the biggest reasons you lose a ton when you trade a gm in is the market is flooded with used gm vehicles from all the rental car companies. whens the last time you rented a car it was a toyota honda or nissan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sales fell off for three reasons...

1. Price of gas went up 50% in one year. Shades of '73 embargo. Same reaction then by the public... dump the gas eaters.

2. The GTO still lacks thorough styling retro makeover. Basic pblm is Pontiac design people are trying to target two publics simultaneously... Gen-x and Baby Boomer. They never did their homework properly, as did VW, Audi, Porsche, Dodge, Ford, and even Chevy.

3. No real marketing. No billboards, full page mag ads, commercials. Nothing. Fine for Ferrari who only wants to sell a few hundred hand-made cars a year. As I said, marketing amateurs. They expected the rebirth of street power and the retro GTO name to pull the marketing load without spending any money on advertising. Rookies.

4. Initially the bulk of GTOs were shipped to upper central and upper east coast states (2/3 of inventory). Morons. Everyone knows it's the southern lattitudes. Dealer supply was limited from the start. No big kickoff, no big glamor and glitz campaign in showrooms across America.

5. In 1965 you could buy a GTO for same price as a family car. Today, the GTO is priced 50% higher than the most popular family cars. So young buyers with less credit and cash are buying Japanese and tricking it out paycheck by paycheck. Any young drivers with enough cash for the GTO get their cars from Daddy, and he's not gonna buy little Suzy a street monster. He's gonna buy the BMW with higher resale value and better safety features.

6. And, finally, that bullwark of American automotive impotence, the UAW. More money for less work, that's the motto. Or is that the USPS? Unions had their place back in the early 1900's when kids were working 60 hour weeks for a dollar. Once they broke the back of bad management, they didn't know when to let up. They've turned America from the world's largest producer into the world's largest consumer. Then they blame the politicians for their woes.

I figure after '06 model year, they'll yank the LS-2 and drop it back to the LS-1 or less. Look for the '08 model to remind you of the '74 GTO... name only.

·
Registered
314 Posts
danrieke said:
6. And, finally, that bullwark of American automotive impotence, the UAW. More money for less work, that's the motto. Or is that the USPS? Unions had their place back in the early 1900's when kids were working 60 hour weeks for a dollar. Once they broke the back of bad management, they didn't know when to let up. They've turned America from the world's largest producer into the world's largest consumer. Then they blame the politicians for their woes.
:agree

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I was just on GM buypower and noticed that GM has almost no rebates on 05's and very small ones on 06's.The new marketing strategy is being put into place. Let's see how it works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts