Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just heard on the news that GM is actually thinking about joining in a partnership with Nissan and Renault. I cant say that I think it would be a good thing due to other car manufacturers wanting to do the same. So will we see Dodge form with Ford in the near future? The thought of a possible monoply comes across my mind, and if the car companies follow suit with the oil companies we may be in trouble (that being worst case scenario of course).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Actually, I think it could be a good thing from the standpoint of quality control. I've owned a couple of Nissan cars in the past (200SX and Maxima) and the build quality was superior to my previous GM cars (not counting my current GTO).

In the long run and with Lutz involved there will be hot cars coming out from GM...just maybe they will learn how to build them better and be a stronger company for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, GM quality could go up with a merger like this, I just hope that competition doesn't go down with it. With less competition, there could be less cash incentives for potential car buyers.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
STEALTH FIGHTER said:
Actually, I think it could be a good thing from the standpoint of quality control. I've owned a couple of Nissan cars in the past (200SX and Maxima) and the build quality was superior to my previous GM cars (not counting my current GTO).

In the long run and with Lutz involved there will be hot cars coming out from GM...just maybe they will learn how to build them better and be a stronger company for it.
I currently have a 2004 Maxima and I love the build quality of it's interior as well. Just like the GTO, it's a lot of car for the money you pay for it. Gotta love the heated steering wheel and auto folding side view windows (this works great at drive-thru windows). I wish the GTO had the Bose sound system like the Max.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
We own 2 200SX SE-R's, 1 Sentra SE, 1 Maxima. The first three are the kids cars. I LOVE NISSANS.

We've had great luck with them, and that was with buying them all used with 60-70K on them.

I hope GM doesn't drag Nissan down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I'm probably the only one, but I'm a little tired of this mindset that the ONLY way Americans or American companies can stop their financial bleeding is to turn to an overseas outfit for answers.

Not that difficult really...take care of the quality issues, lead in the way of distinctive design, and get the UAW to quit thinking in terms of an "us verses them" mentality,:rolleyes: and eventually, GM can stand and LEAD just fine on it's own. Look what Apple Computer has done just in the last 3 years. Their products are wonderful and the marketing (especially lately) is genius. Cadillac has done an absolute about- face. It's a start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
TexasAggie2 said:
I'm probably the only one, but I'm a little tired of this mindset that the ONLY way Americans or American companies can stop their financial bleeding is to turn to an overseas outfit for answers.

Not that difficult really...take care of the quality issues, lead in the way of distinctive design, and get the UAW to quit thinking in terms of an "us verses them" mentality,:rolleyes: and eventually, GM can stand and LEAD just fine on it's own. Look what Apple Computer has done just in the last 3 years. Their products are wonderful and the marketing (especially lately) is genius. Cadillac has done an absolute about- face. It's a start.

:agree
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
tap goat said:
I just heard on the news that GM is actually thinking about joining in a partnership with Nissan and Renault. I cant say that I think it would be a good thing due to other car manufacturers wanting to do the same. So will we see Dodge form with Ford in the near future? The thought of a possible monoply comes across my mind, and if the car companies follow suit with the oil companies we may be in trouble (that being worst case scenario of course).

Dodge by the way is part of Diamler- Chrysler. I don't think they would join with Ford. There was talk about 3-4 years ago that Honda and Ford might merge. Ford would focus on trucks and Honda on cars. UAW contracts and some of Ford's legacy costs, plus it's direct ties with the trouble Visteon group killed that deal.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top