Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I took our two boys (8 and 4) to see Cars last weekend.

Wow, what fun . . . for me!

I'm tellin' ya, whether you have kids or not, this movie is a must-see for any car guy (or gal). Autoweek devoted an entire issue to the film a couple of weeks back, and now I can see why. The people who made this movie obviously love cars and steeped themselves in car lore. Most of us car crazies already imagine our cars to be quasi-people replete with personalities and idiosycrasies, and the Pixar people totally nail what it would be like if cars were, in fact, alive.

Example: There's one scene where Sally Porsche (an attorney in the movie) is motoring away from the main character, Lightning McQueen, and her spoiler is deployed, revealing some fancy pinstriping underneath. Lightning spots it and comments on it, and Sally's embarrassed reaction is perfect--akin to how you'd imagine a straightlaced co-worker would react were you to spy her secret lower-back tattoo.

The way the cars move, the scenery filled with car-shaped mountain ranges, the nostalgia for Route 66 and the guest voices--there's something to occupy the car lover throughout the entire film. You'll emerge happy and more in love with cars than ever. Lots of fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Nice! I have been meaning to see that. I was going to bring my 2 boys, 12 and 7 there dying to see it as well. Thanks for the heads up! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Great movie my wife and I saw no we don't have kids but we love the whole pixar series and will be buying CARS when it comes out to buy it was well worth the price to watch this movie and it will be great to see it again.:cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
I'm going to rent this when it comes out on video :) I usually don't go to theaters--theaters can be nice (dark, big screen, loud music) but I've had waaay too many experiences where someone ticks me off (chatting on cell phone, crying baby they don't take care of, seen it before and talk about parts that haven't happened yet, etc) so I'm kind of put off by theaters. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Clueless said:
I'm going to rent this when it comes out on video :) I usually don't go to theaters--theaters can be nice (dark, big screen, loud music) but I've had waaay too many experiences where someone ticks me off (chatting on cell phone, crying baby they don't take care of, seen it before and talk about parts that haven't happened yet, etc) so I'm kind of put off by theaters. :(
Yeah thats why you always have to buy candy before you go in. Those whoppers pack a punch. Will shut anybody up quick.:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grey-Goat said:
You almost forget that your watching a cartoon, other than the cars talk and there are no people in it. :lol:
Man, that is so true. When you're not looking at the cars' "faces" (for instance, when it's a rear view of a car moving away from you), there were times when I thought the cars were real.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
GM Kid said:
Autoweek devoted an entire issue to the film a couple of weeks back.
I WAS RELLY SURPRIZED THEY DID THAT THAT WHAT MADE ME WANT TO GO SEE IT BESIDES THE PIXARS GUYS ARE GENIUS. FOR THOSE COMPUTER GUY OUT THERE I CHATTED WITH SOME BODY WHO WORKS THER AND SAY MOST OF THERE WORK IS DONE 7.5 GHZ DUALCORE COMPTUERS. wow:willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Clueless said:
Sorry to derail.. but show me where you can buy a 7.5GHZ computer. Procs are still in the 3-4GHZ range.
Might be something like a total of massively parallel processors or total throughput of multiple drives operating at the same time. The kind of B.S. that makes me glad to be out of the high-tech business. That said, Pixar is no doubt using some impressive machines.

BTW, Cars has to be a more realistic portrayal of NASCAR racing than Days of Thunder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Clueless said:
Sorry to derail.. but show me where you can buy a 7.5GHZ computer.
Procs are still in the 3-4GHZ range.


b_a_betterperson said:
Might be something like a total of massively parallel processors or total throughput of multiple drives operating at the same time. The kind of B.S. that makes me glad to be out of the high-tech business. That said, Pixar is no doubt using some impressive machines.

BTW, Cars has to be a more realistic portrayal of NASCAR racing than Days of Thunder...

First off it is most likely a dual core and ther is a 7 there was a 7.6 I can not find it though, here is the link for the 7 but they way you can not buy computer wiith this speed yet but you can get the MOTHERBOARD. Item number: 6892221625

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-GHZ-PENTIUM-D...5QQihZ013QQcategoryZ80143QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
First off it is most likely a dual core and ther is a 7 there was a 7.6 I can not find it though, here is the link for the 7 but they way you can not buy computer wiith this speed yet but you can get the MOTHERBOARD. Item number: 6892221625

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-GHZ-PENTIUM-D...5QQihZ013QQcategoryZ80143QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
They use what is called a beowulf cluster, they cluster multiple motherboards/processors and memory into 1 usable process. I have seen some that run several thousand gigaflops. <-- yes look it up that is a true word and design. Been in the computer industry for over 20 yrs.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top