Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't make up my mind.I'm 55, drive a 05cts,been riding bikes(currently H-D01 road king classic)for 40 years and have found a new gto from a dealer that I'm ready to pull the trigger on.Will i get true good usage inwinter weather(I'm in the northeast)or will car or bike sit during good weather(direct competition with each other)? Goat is a m6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drive mine every day and love it. Gas mileage certaintly isn't the greatest (13mpg) but I knew that going in. I've managed to get 22mpg on the highway... My daily commute consists of intermittent stop and go so on average I have to live w/ 13. Around town and in stop and go I usually avoid second all together... The GTO is a smooth comfortable ride that can be driven as hard or as lite as you like.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hah yeah Tano, you live in a nice populated city in Cali... may explain the 13mpg...

The goat gets nice mileage considering the car it is. For your location in the NE (or did you say NW? anyway) you should get 20mpg average I would think rather. I'm not an expert on winter driving, living in the coldest state in the continental US anyway, but I would think the GTO handles winter weather rather well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Living where I do definately explains the 13mpg... If it's not stop and go on the freeway it's a red light every quarter mile. It's all I know though so I'm used to it. When I take it out on the weekends and head towards the open roads I find the 20-22 mpg you're talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking more about winter and crappy weather , and will i want to take it out on those days. not necessarilly handling but any components or blemishes attributed to ny area winters? My harley riding is about 8 to 10 months long depending on weather. will that conflict?I plan to alternate the cts and goat daily for work.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I live in a lake effect snow area in N. Indiana and the GTO goes fine on the OEM BFG tires. Traction Control and ABS make this car very drivable in the snow. I will see how autocrossed tires with 16K+ do this winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don said:
I live in a lake effect snow area in N. Indiana and the GTO goes fine on the OEM BFG tires. Traction Control and ABS make this car very drivable in the snow. I will see how autocrossed tires with 16K+ do this winter.
Any warrenty issues? The dealer is in an another state and where i live, local dealers find excuses not to do warrenty work(or delay) on cars not bought in their house.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It's a great daily driver- I have over 47k miles on mine in just over 1 year of commuting. The Holden is the best GT car out there for the money, and excels at long-distance / high speed cruising.

The 20-21 mpg I average is good for a V8, but the $40/day fill-ups get a bit old if your drive in long like mine...

I had a transmission go kablooie on me at 30k miles...fixed under warranty (though much teeth gnashing ensued). Other than that, no problems.

·
Registered
119 Posts
mrmusic88 said:
Can't make up my mind.I'm 55, drive a 05cts,been riding bikes(currently H-D01 road king classic)for 40 years and have found a new gto from a dealer that I'm ready to pull the trigger on.Will i get true good usage inwinter weather(I'm in the northeast)or will car or bike sit during good weather(direct competition with each other)? Goat is a m6.
I am 56, just purchased a 2005 Blck/Red GTO six speed. I work for the local H-D DEaler (10 years!)

Hopefully you will not pay more that 29/30K..............

As far as winter, I cannot say, but I will jump in on the "mileage".

Mine is a daily driver (50 miles roundtrip) city/hwy driving to work.
I am averaging 20.4 MPG and can live with that! However on a long freeway trip, you would average about 24 - 25 MPG.

Comfortable, quiet, (probably because its NOT made in the USA)and great to drive. The footwell is tight (space between the dead pedal and clutch),
the cigarette lighter is in a odd location, making it difficult to plug in a radar detector.

Oh, and passengers ALWAYS bump their head getting in the front seat..........

Enjoy and definately "pull the trigger"!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had the same thought when I bought mine. But when I test drove the car, and now every time I drive the car, I have a big smile on my face...probably look like a 54 Buick.

I live in the Philly area, and commute into town. Last winter was pretty bad, and I was driving an Alfa Romeo Spyder with winter tires all around. The car has no ABS, no t/c, but with 2nd gear starts in the real bad weather, the car was terrific.

I was thinking about getting winter tires for the GTO, but with what I'm seeing here, I will see how the BFG's do. If it's a problem, I will get a set of winter tire's and wheel's. Remember, the BFG's come in KDW (performance) and KDWS (snow) which are the stock tires on the GTO, so I'm thinking that they should be pretty good. Just remember, that this is a very powerful car, and you can kick the back end out in the dry, so in the snow, and muck, I do plan on taking it easy.

But go for it. The car is a blast to drive, is very nicely done on the inside, handles and brakes beautifully, and has just a ton of power. You won't be sorry.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
I concur!

vnamvet said:
I am 56, just purchased a 2005 Blck/Red GTO six speed. I work for the local H-D DEaler (10 years!)

Hopefully you will not pay more that 29/30K..............

As far as winter, I cannot say, but I will jump in on the "mileage".

Mine is a daily driver (50 miles roundtrip) city/hwy driving to work.
I am averaging 20.4 MPG and can live with that! However on a long freeway trip, you would average about 24 - 25 MPG.

Comfortable, quiet, (probably because its NOT made in the USA)and great to drive. The footwell is tight (space between the dead pedal and clutch),
the cigarette lighter is in a odd location, making it difficult to plug in a radar detector.

Oh, and passengers ALWAYS bump their head getting in the front seat..........

Enjoy and definately "pull the trigger"!!
Precisely my thoughts! :agree I lived in southern Michigan for 18 years and all my V8 performance cars were daily drivers. With all the technology and balance the GTO has to offer should proove worthy for your wintery needs.

·
Registered
910 Posts
mrmusic88 said:
I'm on Long Island and just picked mine up 2 days ago. It's been raining and with traction control on it's not too bad. But like you I am waiting for the snow to see what it's really like.
PS..I'm 53....growin old but not growin up........... :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got my '05 on last day of GM discount (Sept 30th - also my birhday). With 6-speed paid $30K in California, but added extended warranty, LoJack, grill inserts, and Gap coverage which brought it back to $33. Am refi'ing my house right now, so will have the pink slip on the girl in time for Christmas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.