Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well driving around town today, my gto developed a severe brake squeal. not sure what the cause is, it only does it under moterate to heavy breaking. Car only has 5000 miles so it should not need pads, and i dont think that is the cause becuase it should do it all the time if it needs pads. Talked to the service writer today and he said bring it in, luckly i am going out of town for two days so it should be plenty of time for them to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know what could cause it. I hosed it out tonight with a preasure washer thinking they were dirty but it still does it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the goat back from the dealership and they fixed the break squeal. They told me that my breaks were all glazed over. They said it was due to the tire shine getting on the rotors. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this happening.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
High operating temps cause pads to glaze. Tire dressing has absolutely nothing to do with it. Do you get on your car often? Autocross it or run some canyon roads? If not, then do you do any left foot braking -- or keep your foot on the brake for a really long time before coming to a stop?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually the funny part is i drive it fairly mellow. only getting on it once in a while. I do break kind of easy all of the time. I am not the type of person to jam the breaks on at the last minute. I start breaking very early. I also never do any canyon racing or any of that. The service writer first said that it is because i do not use the breaks hard enough. He said that i was breaking to easy heating up the rotors causing the pads to glaze over. So he told me to get on the breaks harder more often. I was a little confused about that. Then i was talking to him when i picking it up and we taked about the tire shine issue. So i am not sure what the real cause was. Which would you think caused the problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
actually the funny part is i drive it fairly mellow. only getting on it once in a while. I do break kind of easy all of the time. I am not the type of person to jam the breaks on at the last minute. I start breaking very early. I also never do any canyon racing or any of that. The service writer first said that it is because i do not use the breaks hard enough. He said that i was breaking to easy heating up the rotors causing the pads to glaze over. So he told me to get on the breaks harder more often. I was a little confused about that. Then i was talking to him when i picking it up and we taked about the tire shine issue. So i am not sure what the real cause was. Which would you think caused the problem.
IMO any tire shine getting on the rotors would dissipate when braking. The heat would quickly dissolve it. I have been applying tire shine on my vehicles for a very long time and never encountered this problem.

The more you apply brakes the more heat builds up on the rotors which will cause warpage. Riding brakes all the time will wear out your rotors faster than using them as needed. Braking hard applies undue pressure to the pads and rotors. From what I have read on braking... braking prematurely will decrease the life of pads and rotors, braking firmly as needed is proper braking procedure. Those people you see riding their brakes going UP a hill and down as well, or braking long before necessary are revered by brake shops.

Glazing over your rotors? I would think heat would deglaze them. Rust accumulates on my trucks from extended sitting, and normal use removes the rust. So far no pits from rust is damaging the rotors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would agree it also never hurts to use your ABS system at times not only does it give a feel for what it will do when used but it's also good to excise it, look I would find a nice road with some good turns and practice late braking, in traffic yes break easy but when you have the room have fun and play you will be surprised on how much you learn abut your car and how well it stops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts